Pullet comb changes

Jul 22, 2021
My pullets are 11 weeks old and their combs have just started to grow a little bit, their cheeks are turning pink also but so far still yellow combs and 1 black comb. For the speckled sussex average age to start laying is 20 weeks and the orpington is 24 weeks but someone on here mentioned that they could also start laying as early as 16 weeks. Could these new changes be an indication of early laying? 2 of the 4 also squat when I pet them and I've read that can be another sign of reaching maturity. A lot of people on here say the pullets combs will turn red near laying age, is that a gradual change or is it like how the cockerels, they seemed to go red almost overnight followed by fast comb growth? What should I be expecting?

Pictures please!
20210831_130928.jpg
20210831_130251.jpg
20210831_130955.jpg
20210831_131034.jpg

They do look like pullets. They won’t be laying for awhile yet. They start to slowly turn red and could be red from 2 days to 2 weeks before finally starting to lay.

They do look like pullets. They won’t be laying for awhile yet. They start to slowly turn red and could be red from 2 days to 2 weeks before finally starting to lay.
I have a cockerel in with them so I know they're pullets. There was a second cockerel but he was a Cornish cross we processed a few weeks back and he was always picking on the other cockerel trying to establish dominance and he's never done that with any of these one's. Heres a picture for comparison, he's much more developed than the girls.
20210831_132817.jpg

I have a cockerel in with them so I know they're pullets. There was a second cockerel but he was a Cornish cross we processed a few weeks back and he was always picking on the other cockerel trying to establish dominance and he's never done that with any of these one's. Heres a picture for comparison, he's much more developed than the girls.View attachment 2817977
Ok!☺️ He’s very pretty!

Back
Top Bottom