Pullet comb stopped growing?

Abigail5362

Hatching
Sep 6, 2019
2F15D526-35A7-4E9E-BE9F-18E378046066.jpeg
5679E428-3B22-49D5-8F01-05D43499D45C.jpeg
Hi,

This little one is 7 months old. She has been laying for about month. Her comb and waddles are the exact same size as they were two months ago, while all the other girls her age appear to be fully matured.

She had a head injury at 3 weeks old (run-in with the dog) from which she recovered fully. Could the two be related? Will her comb and waddles catch up?

View attachment 1900850 View attachment 1900851 Hi,

This little one is 7 months old. She has been laying for about month. Her comb and waddles are the exact same size as they were two months ago, while all the other girls her age appear to be fully matured.

She had a head injury at 3 weeks old (run-in with the dog) from which she recovered fully. Could the two be related? Will her comb and waddles catch up?
Some have bigger combs and wattles and some have smaller ones. This time of year combs stay smaller than they do in spring and summer. The function of the comb is for a visual clue to their reproductive health and status, and the other purpose is to help them lose heat. Combs shrink down in cooler weather, and when birds aren't laying. So it may get larger next spring, and it may not.

I am assuming you are somewhere in the northern hemisphere. Welcome to BYC. :frow

Hi! Thanks so much for your reply!

Well, I'm actually in Texas. It's been quite hot here! I am not quite sure what breed she is; I got her out of the TSC golden sex link bin. All my other pullets have full-grown, beautiful combs, and I am just wondering if this girl is lagging or if it won't grow anymore.

Thank you!!

Some have bigger combs and wattles and some have smaller ones. This time of year combs stay smaller than they do in spring and summer. The function of the comb is for a visual clue to their reproductive health and status, and the other purpose is to help them lose heat. Combs shrink down in cooler weather, and when birds aren't laying. So it may get larger next spring, and it may not.

I am assuming you are somewhere in the northern hemisphere. Welcome to BYC. :frow
Hi! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom