Pullet coughing

Cherbe

Chirping
May 17, 2021
Ireland
We got three pullets a week ago. They've settled in well. But one of the chickens arrived with a sporadic cough, she doesn't seem bothered by it other than shaking her head. The other two have not developed it.

Managed to capture a video.

All three are eating, drinking and sunbathing happily.

Any advice would be appreciated.

They look healthy. Coughs and sneezes can be nothing if it is due to dust or feed, and only happens occasionally. If it becomes frequent, and they sound congested, have bubbles or foam in an eye, swelling around an eye, or have nasal drainage and gasping, that could be signs of a respiratory disease. Those include infectious bronchitis (without the facial swelling,) mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and a few others. You can read about them here:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

They look healthy. Coughs and sneezes can be nothing if it is due to dust or feed, and only happens occasionally. If it becomes frequent, and they sound congested, have bubbles or foam in an eye, swelling around an eye, or have nasal drainage and gasping, that could be signs of a respiratory disease. Those include infectious bronchitis (without the facial swelling,) mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and a few others. You can read about them here:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044
Thanks so much. New to this so I'm questioning every move. 😅

I'm sure I'll relax soon. Thanks again for the reassurance and I'll look out for any changes and read up. Thanks for the link.

I know this thread is a little old but I have an issue - I usually feed my girls soaked crumble every morning, but I recently started leaving some dry crumble in a feeder for them as well. I noticed one pullet always coughs/clears her airway after nibbling dry crumble. is she just eating too fast or not used to it dry? it's just one of them, she is a little piggie

I know this thread is a little old but I have an issue - I usually feed my girls soaked crumble every morning, but I recently started leaving some dry crumble in a feeder for them as well. I noticed one pullet always coughs/clears her airway after nibbling dry crumble. is she just eating too fast or not used to it dry? it's just one of them, she is a little piggie
Probably eating a little fast or getting some dry feed stuck in her nostrils or airway.

Back
Top Bottom