Pullet crossing legs, falling, unsteady! Purchased yesterday at chicken sale!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nanaluvsgps, Dec 15, 2012.

1. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Hi,
    We aquired a Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet yesterday. When we went to pick her up she was a bit wobbly but we assumed it was the heat. When we took her home we noticed her sense of balance was off and she would allways thump her feet down when moving and feet placed on eachother or directly infront, making her unsteady and falling to her hocks. She is pecking at the food but we have not seen her drink once, it seems her instinct to drink is not their. Shes one beautiful hen, so just wondering if anyone knows whats wrong or what we can do. We have wormed her she is free of lice! also her poo is thin like a worm brown with barley no white capping. Thanks in advance!

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    might be a flu or brain problem take it away from the other hens right away cause the same thing could happen to them if thats what it is

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would definately get her to drink and eat. You may have to wait and see if the walking gets worse and then try to figure out what's ailing her.

4. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks for the replies! she is by her self so not in contact with other chooks.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Just remember, if she doesn't drink, she will die. You need to figure out a way to keep her hydrated.

6. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    We are giving her water every couple of hours because it is so hot. At about midday she started opening her mouth up and strecting it towards the roof. Also we notice if she walks in the water bowl she wil npeck at it. and if you touch her where ever you touched her she will peck at.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    For right now, I would make sure she's isolated from your others, and be careful not to cross contaminate.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Her symptoms sound like Mareks disease - be sure to strictly isolate her from your remaining birds. Meaning she should not be housed anywhere close to them. Wash your hands carefully after handling her, and avoid wearing the same clothes around your other birds. Hope it is not, but using precautions now could save your other birds.

And for others who might contemplate buying birds from a sale, Never take birds that do not appear Completely healthy, and follow strict isolation for 3 weeks after bringing them home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by