Pullet died, 36+ hours later no rigamortis!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mysweetgypsy, Aug 26, 2011.

1. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I had a BO pullet, roughly 18-20 weeks old, die a few days ago, (Tuesday midday). I was saving the hen for a necropsy, she was in a box in the cellar. Yesterday I decided to put her in a bag in the freezer, as the lab is taking FOREVER. After 36+ hours she's still very soft and pliable. No rigamortis at all. Kind of freaked me out! What is going on?!

Her symptoms were odd when sick. She had cocci at 6 weeks and never really recovered. She was always skinny, unthrifty, didn't grow well, and after her crooked beak buddy died, she really wasted away. Her comb was very pale, but she would eat and drink and her poop was normal. On her last day she lay down and just couldn't get to her feet again. I put her in a box and within a few minutes she was dead. After the cocci she always looked off, but her decline was pretty quick in the end. I posted and people suggested Mareks, that's why I was saving her for the lab.

So here I am now, days later and wondering what the heck is going on?! The rest of the flock looks perfect!! Does this indicate what she may have had? Has anyone else ever seen this?

2. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    rigor will set in, and then go away again as the tendons and ligaments begin to break down, you probably just missed the rigor stage.

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Quote:X2
    What a shocker that must have been! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  4. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    I've never kept a dead animal for anything. So yes, I was SOOOO upset!!!! Now I suppose my reaction was funny, but I was pretty freaked out at the time [​IMG] Thanks [​IMG]

5. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    [​IMG] (at myself), I didn't know that rigar went away either, so I was freaked out just reading the post... [​IMG]

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah, it's kind of a weird thing you don't really find out about until you've been around enough dead little bodies and then only morbid people like us would notice such a thing! [​IMG]

7. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I was a field medic at one time:

warm and flaccid 3 hours
    warm and stiff 3-8 hours
    cold and stiff 8-36 hours
    cold and flaccid 36 hours

8. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    I feel very silly now [​IMG] What makes it worse is that I have several pre-vet classes behind me, way back when. I never remember hearing this little fact, I think it would have stuck with me. Hopefully you all had a good laugh [​IMG] It's ok I don't mind [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by