Pullet died after red/purple crust on comb; worried about others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Obssessed, May 13, 2010.

1. Chicken Obssessed

Chicken Obssessed New Egg

Jul 31, 2009
    I had 13 pullets until yesterday. When I checked on them last Thursday evening, I noted the Buff Orpington was not on one of the perches; I noticed the same thing on friday evening. When I checked on her Saturday morning, I noted she was wobbling, so I separated her from the flock. She had watery poop sort of green in color. Her comb had light spots but was showing signs of crust around the head. The remainder of her body appeared fine. I purchased MedRx from the local feed store and put the oil substance on her comb and around her head. She was eating and drinking and seemed to improve until Tuesday, when she stopped eating or drinking. She did not appear to have any respiratory symptoms but her comb continued to change its appearance. She passed yesterday. I have attached pictures of the deceased bird hoping someone can advise whether it was suffering from Fowl pox or other disease. I am now very concerned regarding the remaining 12 pullets. My run is 10 x 10 x 10. The coop 4 x 10 x 6 off the ground leaving the entire 10 x 10 to run around in. The flooring is 12 inches of sand (below that is construction wire and rocks) with shavings on the top. (built in July 2009 - so fairly new) Saturday, after separating out the Buff, I removed all the old shavings and put in new. I also put the MedRx on the other birds combs and head. None of the other birds appear to be ill, but I would like to know if I can do anything proactively to avoid further spread of whatever the Buff was suffering from? Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    That just looks like dried blood. She could have been pecked too hard and killed...it does happen to a chicken on the low pecking order....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by