Hi all -- Last July, we brought home a young blue orpington. When we were leaving the breeder's, my young daughter noticed a little, stunted lavender orp pullet. She begged to be able to take her home. The breeder (and I ) tried to talk her out of it, but the breeder thought the pullet wasn't sick, just runty. (I later thought she probably had runting stunting syndrome, but am not sure. Her feathers seemed a bit spindly, and both pullets seemed a bit underweight. I caved in and agreed to bring the little one home. She seemed to pick up at first. She died three days later. The blue was probably about 12 weeks old. She seemed fine, though we noticed that when she walked it was with one foot directly in front of the other--like she was on a balance beam. Then she developed respiratory symptoms. I started her on antibiotics, and she was already getting vitamins/minerals and electrolytes. Mostly sneezing. But no other real symptoms. In spite of our efforts to quarantine, two of our other hens came down with the illness. I separated them as well, and started everyone on abx. They bounced back quickly. But I noticed that after the blue recovered, she was laying down a lot. Seemed to stagger or walk unsteadily, holding a wing out for balance. She was eating and drinking fine. No signs of trauma. Her breeder had her game bird starter, which we kept her on for awhile but later gradually switched her to flock raiser. Poop looked normal. She seemed to kind of normalize a bit. I put her in with the other hens. She did roost with the other girls a few times, but then went to just sleeping in the nesting box at night as she seemed unable to get onto even the lowest roost. The last few weeks, she goes back and forth between seeming fine and seeming half-paralyzed. This morning I found her in the coop, dead. She would have been about 7 - 8 months old. Never laid an egg. Never really gained. (She always threw her feed out of the feeder to eat it off the floor of the coop). So what I'm wondering is... If we were to bring in two young pullets, we'd quarantine them, but are there other measures we should take? Vaccination? Could our hens (or the coop/grounds) be carrying whatever it was that Luna had? Thanks for any insights or suggestions. Learned a lot with this experience, sadly. Not sure if we'll feel at ease buying from a breeder again. A hatchery seems less risky, after all of this.