Pullet died - murdered by feeder!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fiddlehead, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    I can't believe this.... again!!!!! I went outside to water and feed today to find my beautiful porcelain silkie pullet dead with its head trapped in between the pan and the other part of the feeder. I think it struggled so badly that it broke its own neck... what a terrible death. I feel so badly that I wasn't there to help her. Last summer, the same thing occured, but I happened to be in the run when I heard my white silkie squaking and freed her quickly. I will be removing these feeders and looking for something different. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    I am so sorry for your loss.

3. Fiddlehead

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:Thanks so much..

4. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Call the company & let them be aware of this .. They may be able to issue a recall & make gap smaller .. So sorry for your loss I bet she was beautiful [​IMG]

5. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    oohhh so sorry to hear about your poor baby.. it is always difficult when we lose one..especially because of an unfortunate accident.

Shelly

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG] That is so sad.

Our feeder has levels to regulate amount of feed coming down. But I have NEVER thought of this happening. Thanks for sharing your story, maybe some tragedies will be prevented.

7. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I am SO sorry for your loss. I would feel terrible too, but it was a tragic accident. Thank you very much for warning us though - you may save other chickens by doing this. I agree contacting the manufacturer is a good idea.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You need to adjust the feeder so the gap is either smaller and they cant get their head in, or larger so it can't get stuck.
    There should be three or four settings, and you can drill more holes or change the wires if needed

9. Fiddlehead

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:Thanks everyone, I will do this. [​IMG]

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    andrea98 wrote:
    Call the company & let them be aware of this .. They may be able to issue a recall & make gap smaller .. So sorry for your loss I bet she was beautiful

It's adjustable on all the feeders I've seen
    This is a freak accident, and not a common problem​

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by