Pullet eggs and cleaning

lsuphillier1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
I have a couple of questions...

My pullets just started laying (Auracanas), and I was wondering if the first eggs would be good to hatch since they are smaller.

I know you're not suppose to wash your eggs but is it ok to to take a wet toothbrush and clean 'em and immediately dry them off?

i don't think I would hatch the first eggs. Although, what you can do is break one open and check for fertilization? You'll see a small disk if it is. (I forget the name)
Perhaps then I would try if one of them is.

Anybody have a comment on cleaning an egg with a wet toothbrush? Is it ok to clean an egg w/o submerging it in water and immediately drying it? Does the scrubbing harm the egg or shell?

Also, if anyone else has a comment on my pullet eggs, please share.

I would give the eggs a couple weeks of growth and then try hatching them.

I spot clean my hatching eggs here at home all the time. I use a damp paper towel. I have not had a problem hatching them. If they are dirty enough to want to scrub with a toothbrush, I wouldn't use them.

I don't do it with shipped eggs though, as I do not know where they are going as far as cleanliness goes and what kind of bacterias exist in the intended incubator. You can usually see spots if you clean them anyway and when you ship your eggs to someone you want them to be clean and present your best stuff.

Last edited:
I've always been taught to not wash my hatching eggs if they are too dirty they do not go in the incubator... I have used a dry cloth to wipe as much off shipped eggs as possible....

On pullet eggs I always wait a month or so til the egg size gets alittle larger...

If you wash the dirty eggs and there is bacteria on them you are pushing the bacteria into the egg and ultimately subjecting your unhatched chick to bactera. I would try to get them as clean as possible without scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Please note: I read this in a book and I do not have any first hand or on hand knowledge of this as I have nvr hatched eggs. :| BUT I WANT TO!!!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom