Pullet eggs fertile?

BeardedLadyFarm

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Cobleskill NY
I have a Wheaten Ameraucana pullet that just started laying yesterday. I had to get rid of my Marans/Ameraucana mix cockerel last week, as he was being too loud.

Can a pullet egg be fertile, and if so, can it develop properly, given its small size?

Her egg is a great dark aqua color. I'd love to have some sort of baby from her, but I won't be trying the roo thing again for awhile. The egg is in the incubator regardless. We'll see what happens.

ThreeBoysChicks

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Thurmont, MD
Yes they can be fertile and yes they can develop in the smaller egg. I have a Buff Orpington Pullet with a small egg and I got 100% hatch out of 5 of her eggs. Gof or it. What can it hurt.

MuranoFarms

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Boyers, Pa
Yes they can hatch. However, every pullet eggs I hatched was really small and resulted in a small chick that never quit grew to normal size. Given that I'm working on my breeding stock, that doesn't work for me. However if they're pets, that won't matter at all!

Good luck!

BeardedLadyFarm

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Cobleskill NY
Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to save a few up and give it a try. I would crack one open and take a look for fertility, but I don't want to waste any possibly fertile ones.

I had the roo for a few weeks, and this Ameraucana is the only one we actually saw him mount. Fingers crossed!

Top Bottom