Pullet Eggs & how long to weight Coronation Sussex

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Seeing Silkies, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Hi
    I have some Coronation Sussex just starting to lay, How much should there eggs weigh? to be good hatching eggs?

it there a weight that you have to wait for? or wait for how many months after they start laying?

Thank You for any input

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I wait at least 2 months before hatching any "first eggs"....There are two important reasons for this. One, although pullet eggs may hatch, generally the young bird or baby chick will not gain the needed weight because this was hatched from a learner egg. A Poultry vet told me this years ago and I've quit hatching those now. Hope this was helpful and have a blessed day. Nancy

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I hatch pullet eggs, if the size is nice. I do not hatch the little ones, but if they are good sized I do. I have even hatched out first eggs, and had no problems.

4. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Quote:Thank You, do you know what a good weight would be for them? I know my silkies 1st eggs were hatched out by a broody silkie that claimed all of eggs, they were both laying in the same nest box ( there was 2 ). Well I am on the 2nd week of steady every day laying the 1st Coronation Sussex egg was 1.4grams all others have bin 1.5 grams so I am going to hatch some out.

Thanks a bunch [​IMG]

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have hatched pullet eggs before - they are sometimes small when they hatch, but will grow. [​IMG]

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Thank You, do you know what a good weight would be for them? I know my silkies 1st eggs were hatched out by a broody silkie that claimed all of eggs, they were both laying in the same nest box ( there was 2 ). Well I am on the 2nd week of steady every day laying the 1st Coronation Sussex egg was 1.4grams all others have bin 1.5 grams so I am going to hatch some out.

Thanks a bunch [​IMG]

I haven't weighed them. I just won't hatch "too small," of an egg. If the first egg is nice, heck, I hatch it! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by