Pullet eggs... When do you start using eggs as hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hennypen, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    What size should they be? Is there a chart for the various breeds? Some pullet eggs can be quite small so I want to wait until they're bigger but what is the right size?

2. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    depends on the breed and the bird...look it up the egg chart if you google it

3. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    I've tried to find it and so far haven't. Can you post the link?

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I reckon you can use them right from the start if you've got a rooster [​IMG] One of my silkies just hatched her 1st clutch. Out of 15: 9 hatched ontheir own, 1 had to be helped out, 1 had a blood ring, 1 wasn't fertile and 3 were DIS. I'd take my advice with a grain of salt though. [​IMG] After all, you've got at least 2 years more of eggs to hatch if your first lot flops [​IMG] Good luck.

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have heard to wait until you get a 'normal' sized egg, but a friend of mine says some of his best chicks/birds have come from pullet eggs.

6. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i had a pullet go broody as soon as she started laying. 2 weeks in she'd saved all 14 eggs in a nest. she sat them out, through ice rain and wind in the middle of the field. out of 14 eggs, 12 hatched!

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I wait about a good month before using them for hatching-thats just me though. I also wait because I sell most of them and dont want to send smaller eggies-so when they are regular in thier laying pattern is when I use them:) I have hatched out pullet eggs though and yes, gotten great birds from them~

8. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Won't the resulting birds be smaller than if the eggs were bigger?

I'd like to know at what age the birds start producing normal eggs.

9. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:In my experience, they can and tend to be smaller, but they do catch up.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Personally I would not hatch from birds so young myself. Too soon to know if they are worth hatching from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by