pullet eggs

firechicken

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Covington, GA
So who is successfully hatching pullet eggs? Are there more complications then with more established layers? I just put six eggs in my cooler bator to see what would happen. My girls just started laying last month and I'm just wondering if this may be too soon to try to hatch. What are your experiences?

I have no problem, actually i have better results. They seem to just pop right out of the shell like popcorn.
jumpy.gif

i just got 2 dozen eggs from a hatchery in Idaho and they were all small eggs,you just get a little smaller chick,I dont know where all this started about having year or two yearold hens for hatching eggs ,the hatchery in WallaWalla dont even keep them a year,they told me they sell chicks in the spring and then sell the hens at 9 or 10 months old then start over about september with eggs,so all the chicks they sell to feed stores and private partys are from pullet eggs

Last edited:
Thanks both of you.
smile.png
That makes me feel better. I've been having the noobie jitters. I hope my first little batch goes well.

Anyone have any bad experiences you think were related to pullets just starting to lay?

I set 21 rhode island red pullet eggs they hatched 6 weeks ago I ended up with 11 hatch there were 16 fertile the rest were clear but I think what happened with mine is the man had washed the eggs and put them in the fridge. I later put in 7 of my white rock pullet eggs and I have 5 beautiful white rock babies one of the ones that did not hatch was fully developed but died before hatching and the other one was clear. so I have actually had pretty good luck with them but the rhode island reds were little but not much smaller than the ones I got from ideal poultry

I normally wait a month or two just to give them time to work through the egg laying process. Sometime new layers have more meat spots,but after that.I set them just like any other egg and they do well.

Back
Top Bottom