Pullet eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seagullplayer, Feb 1, 2008.

1. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have six hens that have just started to lay for the first time. How long should I let them lay before I try and hatch a few?
    The eggs are still rather small, how long before they lay thier "normall" size egg? Should I at least wait until then?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Last fall I hatched a few of my Marans pullets eggs...mainly because they were so nice and dark...They were the first to hatch and popped out like popcorn. The eggs weren't full size yet and the chicks were a little smaller, but quickly caught up.

3. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    i would hold off for a while till the eggs get to normal size should be a few months

4. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    i have hatched pullet eggs and never had any problem. infact i have some right now in the bator and they look like they are doing really well

5. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the info.

It turned off cold here again, but maybe warmer temps next week or so. I'm going to wait until I know my eggs didn't get too cold during the day. They lay them while I am at work, so it could be several hours before I get to them.

I still have to put my bator back together anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by