Pullet Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilyD, Jan 24, 2012.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    How long do you wait after pullets start laying before you incubate the eggs. I have pullets that started laying right before Christmas and have been laying a month now. The eggs show a definite bulls eye so Rocky my Brahma rooster is doing his job. But I would like to know what other people do for incubating pullet eggs.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    For ducks we usually wait at least 2 weeks I'm not sure if it's the same for chickens

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Not sure I have only incubated eggs from birds who have been laying for quite a while but I have a group of 4 hens, three of which started laying the end of December right before Christmas so they have been laying for about 4 weeks now maybe a little more. Their eggs still aren't huge but they are starting to look normal sized so I would like to try a hatch in February but that means starting to collect at the end of January.

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I have received a couple of pullet eggs in with some shipped eggs and they hatched fine and the chicks are healthy and full sized [​IMG][​IMG]

5. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    From what I have been reading on here, it seems that since pullet eggs are smaller you end up with smaller chicks. I gave a couple of pullet eggs to a fellow byc'er and one hatched. That was in November. The chick I rcvd is till small for it's age, but cute as a button. Also the egg that hatched was odd shaped with no identifiable round or pointy end it was pointy at both ends and very long and narrow.

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas

My pullet eggs that hatched did have tiny chicks but now that they are two months old you can't tell them from the chicklets that were larger when they hatched [​IMG][​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if they have a bullseye i would go ahead and test some out and see how fertile they are

8. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Yup they are all showing a bulls eye. There are 4 total hens laying from there and their eggs are getting larger but still not the extra large of the hens in my other coop.

9. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Are there any specific characteristics I should look for in my pullet eggs that would make them more hatchable. They are still fairly small compared to what I'm used to (I have gold comets and get goose size eggs from them) but they are only supposed to lay a medium egg so I am wondering if the size that they are laying is normal for them. Right now they are about the size of a small chicken egg.

10. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I hatch all my pullet eggs that are fertile. The chicks are smaller but catch up in no time. I actually had a better success rate with my pullet eggs this month than my hens that have been laying for a while. I am not sure what charisterics would make a pullet egg more hatchable.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by