Pullet eggs

Pancholoco

Songster
Nov 12, 2012
Sin, MX. now CA.
I have 5 pullets that just started laying a couple of weeks ago and I saw yolk for fertility and guess what?… They are fertile… So I want to know if can I incubate these eggs? They are still small my hens are RIR, Aus and BO over an Australorp roo. I have 16 eggs from 4 days ago.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I dont know the correct answer but will be glad to hear some responses. I just set some pullet eggs 7 to be exact, 4 are from pullets that have been laying a few weeks and 3 are brom my Bantam that just started laying this week.

I have incubated pullet eggs. I have had mixed results. One your air cell and chick will be smaller. I've had some hatch and survive.
I've had one hatch and was dead by the end of the first day. If they are your eggs you really don't have much to lose in incubating them. One the other hand it only takes a few weeks for their eggs to get somewhat bigger. You can wait and be assured a better result. You won't get 'full' size eggs for a while but they do get bigger after about 3 to 4 weeks.

hu.gif
I don't know why you couldn't...I have three broodys now-two pullets and they hatched out and are excellent mothers. One bantam naked neck and one standard sized naked neck.

Outside of fertility issues, wouldn't the bird from a smaller egg remain smaller when grown? I can hardly wait for my black ausies to be old enuf for me to set their eggs (should lay their first eggs the end this month)

Outside of fertility issues, wouldn't the bird from a smaller egg remain smaller when grown? I can hardly wait for my black ausies to be old enuf for me to set their eggs (should lay their first eggs the end this month)
I had heard about that so i'll wait. Thanks

So, are pullet eggs only smaller than normal? Because I had a hen just start laying, and she is giving me jumbo light brown eggs with white speckles, and x-large dark brown eggs with even darker speckles, and medium sized light brown eggs...it's weird. I have like 6 different eggs in my fridge, but only 3 hens laying...so it has to be her. She is the only one new to laying...None have been very small so far though...but all have been different.

So, are pullet eggs only smaller than normal? Because I had a hen just start laying, and she is giving me jumbo light brown eggs with white speckles, and x-large dark brown eggs with even darker speckles, and medium sized light brown eggs...it's weird. I have like 6 different eggs in my fridge, but only 3 hens laying...so it has to be her. She is the only one new to laying...None have been very small so far though...but all have been different.

Daily diet affects the size of egg as well as being a pullet. I think her egg will get bigger as she learns what she is doing. (and more uniform in size). I got an egg that I think is from a FBCM, I got it on a day that her "normal" egg was not there. It is much lighter in color (darker than the other girls) and I have to wonder if another hen left it for me (I have several that should be laying any time now)(who ever it is from it is in the bator,,,,,) I have 7 hens known to be laying at this time, 1 is a pullet that as just started. Her first egg was smaller than the next, by the 7th egg she has been laying the same size egg (the last 3)
Gave my girls some tuna, egg size jumped from large to jumbo (tight fit at that) and the same happened with beens and ham,,,,,

Back
Top Bottom