pullet eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the simple life, Sep 9, 2008.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

A while back someone posted that her boyfriend wouldn't eat pullet eggs and I was wondering what the big difference is other than size.
    Do most people eat pullet eggs or feed them to the dog or something until they mature?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is absolutely no reason not to eat them. They are no different than any other egg, I promise! Just takes a few more to make an omelet. People are quite full of strange misconceptions, aren't they?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  3. the simple life

I know, its funny what will give people the willies isn't it?
    I always thougt you could eat them but they would just be smaller, but then when I read that post I wondered if I was missing something.
    Thanks for the information.[​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep speckled he's quite strange! (LMAO, since it's my SO, now my fiance' that
    they're referring to).
    He's not all that strange, he's just very mindful of family traditions, one of which is that they don't eat pullet eggs. It's worthy to note that his family were long time commercial chicken farmers. In fact his Dad was the "chicken doctor" for Lane Poultry (now Tyson) for many years. No one in his family had any trouble with catching a chicken out back, butchering it and eating it within the hour. That's something I myself might have trouble with.
    As for the pullet eggs, I'm eating them. He wants to wait until the hens are older. To each his own.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I've eaten my girl's first eggs...after taking pics of course....the only difference is you might not get a yolk...which is good for all those egg white lovers. [​IMG]
    Don't tell me that they're laying already, Nat...

6. the simple life

Hey Brenda,
    Not yet, but soon. Can you believe it?! Time goes by so fast, my different age groups are 19 weeks, 15 weeks and then 8 weeks.
    I put the next boxes in this morning so that they get use to the idea.
    I'll let you know when they start laying.

7. speckledhen

So, Kat, why won't he eat pullet eggs? I'd love to know.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Speckled, he is a very special man. He's also one of the most quiet people I've ever met; he says this comes from years and years of being a cop. [​IMG] He doesn't debate issues or argue. He states his opinion on the matter and that's it.
    All he said was that his mama didn't eat pullet eggs and his grandma didn't eat pullet eggs and that's good enough for him. As I said, it all boils down to family traditions with him.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:You gotta love those boof eggs... lower in cholesterol!

10. speckledhen

Quote:Speckled, he is a very special man. He's also one of the most quiet people I've ever met; he says this comes from years and years of being a cop. [​IMG] He doesn't debate issues or argue. He states his opinion on the matter and that's it.
    All he said was that his mama didn't eat pullet eggs and his grandma didn't eat pullet eggs and that's good enough for him. As I said, it all boils down to family traditions with him.

Ok, then. No reason he has to eat them, just wondered if there was a specific reason why he didn't. Reminds me of the story I heard once. A woman cut the end off her ham before it went in the oven and her daughter asked her why she did it. The woman looked perplexed for a minute, then said she didn't know and she would ask her mother, who always cut a chunk of meat off the end of the ham before baking. Her mother said she had no idea, that her own mother used to do it. The first lady decided she had to know now, so she went to ask her grandmother why she always cut off the end of the ham. The answer was simple. Her roasting pan was too short and the ham wouldnt fit. [​IMG] Funny how traditions start! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by