pullet expelling clear fluid

kjk

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 29, 2009
zionsville, indiana
the main concern. this morning while checking on the birds, she hopped down on the roost closest to me 'to talk a bit' and then she, for lack of a better term, pooped a fairly significant amount of clear fluid. it looked like water, no color or odor to it. i also observed her a few days ago lean over and have a similar type of fluid come out of her mouth. i filled out the standard questions below.

any insight is appreciated.
thanks,
kate

1) What type of bird , age and weight. bantam brahma, pullet (probably 3-4 months)

2) What is the behavior, exactly. she is behaving normally. talkative, eating and drinking well. fairly active.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no signs of injury. but she is currently being treated for an infection.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. no specific incident

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. purina flock raiser, plain water, vegetable based table scraps, small amount of seed

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. this is the main concern. this morning while checking on the birds, she hopped down on the roost closest to me 'to talk a bit' and then she, for lack of a better term, pooped a fairly significant amount of clear fluid. it looked like water, no color to it. i also observed her a few days ago lean over and have a similar type of fluid come out of her mouth.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? she is currently on tylan 50 for the infection. with one more day in the series

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? would prefer to treat myself but will take her to a vet if needed.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use she is in a raised coop with other birds i bought at the same time being treated for the same illness (buyer beware is very much the case here). pine shavings for bedding. roosts and a heat lamp which they can move towards and away from. access to a fenced in enclosure during the day.

That is what happened to my hen the other day. She expelled water from her mouth and was pooping clear. Someone said may be bactarial infection.

If she's on antibiotics, her natural gut flora may be all dead. That could result in a fungal overgrowth in the crop. Add some Apple Cider Vinegar to the drinking water for all of the birds, 2-3 Tablespoons per gallon.

If you can isolate her so you can better observe what is going on, that would help. Get some ACV water in her and after she goes to bed for the night, make sure she can't have food first thing in the morning until you have a chance to check her out. If her crop isn't liquidy/squishy, she's probably going to be fine - just give her some applesauce (also helps acidify the crop) and a little yogurt as a probiotic and keep an eye on her.

If it's liquidy/squishy in the morning, and smelly, then it's sour and you need to be a little more aggressive. Make sure she gets ACV in her - dribble a couple of ml of it in her beak, or squirt some in the back of her throat behind the tongue (breathing hole is under the tongue!). And no pellets/solid food, she would need soft food only for a day or so. Acidify, acidify, acidify!

I learned the hard way after a course of antibiotics how fast and devastating the crop can go sour and it can kill them!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom