Pullet flinging mucus WHILE getting Tylan 50 injections

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KatGold, Dec 9, 2012.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Hi folks,

I have had one crazy thing after another going on for months in my flock. I do not want to cull the whole flock and start again (I've got some wonderful hens and some beautiful high dollar pullets :-(

I've had an undiagnosed upper respiratory problem going around. I have treated all the flock with Oxine and Denagard and a couple with Tylan 50 injectable. After everyone was better, a young pullet (maybe 12-15 weeks) started sneezing. I started a round of Tylan on her and two other similarly aged pullets who hadn't shown symptoms (I didn't want them to start).

Today is the fourth day of Tylan injections for the young pullets. When I picked up two of them (strangely, the two who had never shown symptoms), each of them had something fling out of their nose or beaks as I picked them up. I want to believe it was water, but it only makes sense that it is mucus.

The first one, I picked up and her head was sort of pointed down and it seem to quickly leak out a little liquid (I cannot say how thick or thin). It stunned me and I thought it might have been my imagination. Then it happened again with the other.

This, in spite of the fact that they are on Tylan.

What the heck could possibly be going on?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What your are seeing is typically a symptom of how respiratory diseases are spread, head slinging mucus from the throat...like we clear our throats when we have mucus buildup.
    Denagard treats mycoplasma diseases and requires a monthly preventative dose for the rest of the chickens lives. If you stop it, there can possibly be relapses. As you can see, whatever respiratory disease you're dealing with has spread throughout your flock. Surviving birds are carriers of the disease and will spread the disease to other birds. You must maintain a closed flock; no new ones in, none out and dont sell or give away eggs for hatching. Some diseases can be transmitted through the eggs. Keep in mind there are various strains of respiratory diseases, so it's possible you could be dealing with one or more strains with varying symptoms.
    Treatment with the products you mentioned ie; tylan, denagard, oxine will be ongoing for the rest of their lives.
    If they were my birds; I'd cull, disinfect everything with oxine and start over in several months.

3. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Are these birds still safe to eat? Can I butcher them?

Could this spread to other birds (wild birds, ducks, neighboring farms)?

4. chathound

chathound Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    millport,alabama
    since they have that when you cull them is it safe to eat them

5. chathound

chathound Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    millport,alabama
    i have a few young turkeys with this mess
    i would just hate to waste a life and bury it i would rather eat it if is safe to eat
    i sure would hate to give my family member any kind of disease that might would take a humans lfe

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The fluid that came out could have been crop contents.

7. nanasbitties

nanasbitties Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Georgia
    Have your birds tested either at your local vet or your NPIP dept for your state it maybe something like Coryza which in case can be treated with keflex liquid 250mg/per 5ml twice a day for 7 days for every bird symptoms or not then after treatment you cannot eat their eggs for 21 days or if you DO NOT plan on EATING THE EGGS OR BIRDS YOU CAN TREAT THEM WITH BAYTRIL 100 (LARGE ANIMAL ONLY RX) BUT LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN YOU CAN NEVER EAT THE BIRDS YOU TREAT OR THEIR EGGS IT SEEMS THAT BAYTRIL CAN INTERFERE WITH FOOD POISONING TREATMENT...THE GOOD NEWS CORYZA IS NOT PASSED FROM HEN TO EGG SO YOUR NEW BABIES WILL BE FINE BUT NEED TO BE VACCINATED AND KEPT AWAY FROM THE REST OF THE FLOCK THAT ARE INFECTED...THE BAD NEWS CORYZA BIRDS ARE CARRIERS FOR LIFE but they need to be tested to know exactly what you are dealing with, if it is MG and you hatch or sell eggs then all you are doing is passing it on to someone else and it keeps perpetuating the disease...Please have them tested.....and tylan can cause muscle damage it must be given only sub-Q never IM (learned that the hard way) Also you never give Tetra's (antibiotics) and vitamins at the same time the antibiotics can actually bind to the vitamins and virtually rendering them both useless.Call your local Extension Office they should be able to point you in the right direction also call the NPIP Office in your state most of them offer testing for free at least mine does.
    Good Luck

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can get Baytril quite easily without a perscription. Just do a search on google for baytril birds.
    Baytril ban info:
    http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/83/i32/8332baytril.html
    http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/1382/62

9. nanasbitties

nanasbitties Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Georgia
    True but ONLY Baytril 100 for large animal will work..(by RX only) ValleyVet carries it by script only I have never seen Baytril 100 for large animal without a script and would be very skeptical if I did.
    My local Vet that I have been going to for 16 yrs. said he treated a game Rooster with 1cc of Baytril (the bird had a blue comb and the rattles) the next day the bird was fine... Now the recommended Poultry dose for Baytril is .25cc per 5lbs per UGA Poultry Professor 1X a day for 5 days for bantams its .5cc insulin needles work very well and are less painful again this is a SUB-Q med.
    Again YOU CAN NEVER EAT THE BIRDS OR THE EGGS FROM BIRDS THAT ARE TREATED WITH BAYTRIL.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by