Pullet fluffed up and not acting as normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Speedylilb3, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Speedylilb3

Speedylilb3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2009
    Pride, LA
    I have a 5 month old bantam cochin pullet that is not acting like she normally does. Tonight when I went out to turn the heat lamp on in my coop I found her standing under the perch by herself while the other chickens are roosting. When the light came on she began scratching and eating out of the feeder, but didn't want to go perch with the others. She is kinda standing more upright with her wings farther down than normal. She also has her neck pulled in and her feathers fluffed around her neck. I don't think she has ever laid an egg. Her poop seems to be kinda yellow/brown and slightly runny. Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Most commonly would probably be that she might have worms. You won't always see worms in the poop.

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Worms would be a reasonable possible, ccoci would be another I would considder given how she is acting.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    The symptoms you described are mostly general "i don't feel so good" symptoms for chickens. If it happened sort of suddenly, i would consider checking her abdomen for any sign of a stuck egg and possibly giving her a warm bath to see if you can help her insides work a little better.

Is she fairly new to the property? If she has been there longer than a couple of months, then cocci is more of a long shot.

5. Speedylilb3

Dec 5, 2009
    Pride, LA
    I hatched her on the place, so she has been here since she was born.

6. Speedylilb3

Dec 5, 2009
    Pride, LA
    I'm not sure what I would be feeling for when I check her abdomen for an egg. Will it be obvious that something is there? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It might be obvious. You're feeling gently underneath her, way down, just in front of her vent. Her low abdomen. If it's hard, you'll know something is up down there. If it's hard in the shape of an egg, definitely give her a warm bath.

8. Speedylilb3

Dec 5, 2009
    Pride, LA
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by