Pullet Food Transitions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobchristenson, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bobchristenson

bobchristenson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    SE Michigan
    So far I've raised my day-old chicks on Purina Flock Raiser and they're approaching 5 weeks. I've also been throwing some things like dandelions and legume sprouts into their coop to get them pecking at something different.

I'm wondering about the feed progression from here until they're layers. (I've been told they can continue on Flock Raiser until they are ready to lay)

I don't really understand the whole protein percentage stuff so I'm wondering if, as they grow, I need to supplement the Flock Raiser with anything. What should I be giving them and what are the age-break-points where I should add different things?

Any advice with a list of ages and things I should add to their diet would be great!

2. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    The last time I had chicks I kept them on flock raiser until they were an age to be laying. I put out some crushed oyster a few weeks prior to that because I was told it helped with good strong egg production. At 5 weeks, I wouldn't think you need to give anything else except maybe some grit so your chicks can eat treats.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Just keep on doing what you're doing until you see the first eggs then begin the transition over to layer feed if you want to. Or you can keep them on Flock Raiser supplemented with crushed shell.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup. What A.T. says. Note. A high protein diet through the formative months does result, normally, in somewhat early lay onset. That's not a horrible thing. If you are feeding lots of greens and they have access to grass and so forth, I'd not be the least bit concerned. This doesn't have to be as complicated as some would make it out to be.

1 person likes this.
  5. bobchristenson

bobchristenson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Thanks everyone! Any ideas on when I can start giving scratch or other tasty treats?

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    You can give limited quantities of treats right now, but don't go crazy with them. No more than they can clean up in a few minutes.

Good treats would include things like rolled oats or chopped green feed. Once they catch onto the green feed they're old enough to tear it up themselves, but in the beginning they'll eat it better if you chop it up a bit for them.

7. Battlechicken

Battlechicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    My chicks are 4 weeks and we just started introducing treats. They go crazy for the meal worms!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by