Pullet FOOT exetremely swollen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clayhillcouple, Jan 29, 2009.

1. clayhillcouple

clayhillcouple Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    One of Cornish Pullets has badly swollen foot. I will attempt to post a pic that I took yesterday. I think its probably caused by my Bad Boy PR Rooster.[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Check for a scab on the bottom. It could be a bad case of bumble foot.

3. clayhillcouple

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    [​IMG]

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Oh man that looks badly infected. Can you somehow remove the puss and clean it and disinfect it? And keep her on clean dry grounds for a few days.

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    If it is bumblefoot, she can die from it. She would need a strong antibiotic that she takes internally - not a cream.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Along with the antibiotic, I would gently scrub her foot with an antimicrobial soap or chlorhexidrine. Then soak some gauze in epsom salts, wrap it around her foot and wrap plastic wrap and tape. Change it once or twice a day. I had put mine on at night so it stays on at least thru the night..

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    That foot will have no chance of getting better if you do not remove her immediately to an environment where the floor is free of contaminants.

8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Along with the suggestions for treatment and recommendation of moving her to an environment free of contaminants--- we are looking at the feces covered floor she is on), I would add that most cases of bumblefoot are caused by a wound to the foot and entry of bacteria from the surface of the foot or ground.
    So you already have treatment options, and work on prevention for the health of the rest of your flock. Look for sharp or pointed objects on the floor of the coop and in the yard, and inspect perches as well. Padding the area under the perch where they jump down for heavy breeds. Part of her treatment will be to move her to a VERY clean floor area for the time being, it won't help to clean out a wound if old poop gets ground right back in. Pen with a thick layer of straw or pine shavings- cleaned often, or at least daily.

A decently clean floor is important, and I know we are taking chickens here who poop alot. You should have bedding of some sort in there- many people use hay/straw, but pine shavings, rice hulls, ect-- anything dry and relatively clean is better than wood or tile (I can't tell what she is standing on) with feces on top.
    Look up the deep litter method if you don't want to pull out all of the dirty bedding every week or so. I use this method, and so far (keeping fingers crossed), I don't have any bumble foot issues.

9. clayhillcouple

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    Thanks for replies-We'll try the soon of your suggestions.

10. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks as though the same toe on the other foot is in the beginning stages too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by