Pullet found dead in coop - advice needed

zimileih

Songster
Mar 28, 2021
I found my sweet Babble, a 9 week old Easter egger dead in the coop this morning. She seemed fine until I found her, I had even played with her and her 3 other sisters before putting them to bed last night and she was full of energy.

I am thinking she may have had a heart attack? Does this happen this young?

She was laying on her side, legs stiff and extended fully. Her back was against the coop wall and she was near a corner of the coop, her head curled a bit under her. Her eyes were closed and eyelids blue, she was already stiff when I found her.

She has always had a gap in her beak but I don't think that is associated with her death? Her sisters seem healthy and fine. I didn't know raising chickens would hurt this much 😭 Every loss is hard but this was so unexpected

20210726_120717.jpg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1628524867502_6830528365863614830.jpeg

I'm so sorry, I recently lost a little pullet too, her death is also a mystery but I am 80% sure it's because she was sleeping next to where the wood in the coop was broken and I think the draft on that cold night killed her.
Life is gonna suck for a bit but stay strong, and remember your other chickens need you. You gave her a great life!

I found my sweet Babble, a 9 week old Easter egger dead in the coop this morning. She seemed fine until I found her, I had even played with her and her 3 other sisters before putting them to bed last night and she was full of energy.

I am thinking she may have had a heart attack? Does this happen this young?

She was laying on her side, legs stiff and extended fully. Her back was against the coop wall and she was near a corner of the coop, her head curled a bit under her. Her eyes were closed and eyelids blue, she was already stiff when I found her.

She has always had a gap in her beak but I don't think that is associated with her death? Her sisters seem healthy and fine. I didn't know raising chickens would hurt this much 😭 Every loss is hard but this was so unexpected

View attachment 2817489

View attachment 2817488
I’m so sorry for the loss of Babble. She looked like a sweet girl. You gave her a good life.:hugs

I'm so sorry, I recently lost a little pullet too, her death is also a mystery but I am 80% sure it's because she was sleeping next to where the wood in the coop was broken and I think the draft on that cold night killed her.
Life is gonna suck for a bit but stay strong, and remember your other chickens need you. You gave her a great life!
Thank you! I'm sorry for your loss as well ❤

Back
Top Bottom