pullet going blind

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickcrazyCharlie, Dec 3, 2011.

1. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    My 8 month old bantam cochin pullet seems to be going blind, There is no swelling, discharge or irritation of any kind. The past 2 nights she will not go to roost with the others. She stays on the ground. When she eats, she pecks but misses the food by an inch or two. She is also having a hard time drinking, finding it. She gets close to it and will eventually find it. So she does have partial sight for now. No injury that I know or can see. Could it be some kind of vitamin deficiency? Any ideas? Thanks.

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    It could be a deficiency, or bad bop on the head, or something else entirely. I have never had this problem, except a rooster that got in a fight and got bopped in the ear. It caused some kind of nerve damage. He has made it just fine, going on 3yrs now, and still can top a hen successfully. I you have a local vet, they Should have more incite than me.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    when we get bobcat kittens in like this, it is usually because people have been trying to feed them...the wrong formula. For bobcats (and other predator mammals), taurine is very important for sight development...but I do not know if that translates into chicken eye sight? [​IMG] A trip to the vet is probably the best option for her...I would not just start giving her taurine or any other suplement without talking to a vet first just in case it is another issue entirely.

4. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    Thanks Guys, Not much change today. She is just sitting in the corner. She did eat and I watched her drink water. Her crop feels good. No weight loss, yet. I hate to loose her, she is so pretty. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    If you want, it would not hurt to give her a vitamin supplement (you can find at your local feed store) that should supply most anything that she maybe lacking. I still think if you can call your local vet (during office hours) they might be able to help, but you might have to take her up there for an exam. If she is eating and drinking and no weight loss, that is a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by