Pullet got trapped...feels cold...exhaustion? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Dec 2, 2009.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I found one of my banty girls trapped in between a board and the wall tonight. She is alive somehow. She feels cool to the touch so I brought her in next to the fire, and now on a heating pad. She is barely moving eyes shut and slumping over. I made sugar water, but she hasn't had the swallowing thing yet so i have to hold off...
    Anything else I should be doing??? I feel like I should give her subQ fluids but I don't know how on a chicken...

thanks in advance

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You're doing fine. When they get that cold they can't process food/water anyhow. Once you get her warmed up see if she'll drink and maybe try some scrambled egg for a quick boost.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed, and later try dripping ONE drop of water on the curve of her beak, avoiding the nares. If she is able to sip, this act will stimulate the sipping reflex.

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Well she is eating and drinking. I have a warm heating pad under her. Very wobbly holding herself up with her wings, one foot she holds curled. I brought her sister in and put her in the cage with her. I'm hoping she will perk her up. Is there anything else I should do?

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    My Silkie hen and Roo got wedge between the wall and coop ( i didn't even think they could fit in there, its fixed now). It was raining and cold.

I brought them in and put them in a warm bath and started the heater. It took about 40-45 for them to come around. They are fine now.

Hope your baby gets better. Scramble her some eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by