Pullet growing.. Hen or Roo??? We are thinking Roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommy25babies, Aug 21, 2013.

1. mommy25babies

mommy25babies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

Close friends have this pullet...we are thinking roo.. two other "pullet hens" from same hatching don't have as prominent comb and ear area is puffed out more on this one. any thoughts.. or could this be a hen anyways. No crowing yet or mounting but just seems to have "look" of a roo but we are new to this! Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Look like a pullet to me as nothing seems to jump out that signals a roo,

3. mommy25babies

Aug 10, 2013
    well i should have taken pictures of the other two.. the neck is significantly thicker, the ear area is puffed out (which could mean nothing) but when you compare this one to the other two and their all the same size.. it looks more masculane. the other two are also americaunas but this one has bigger feet.. a thicker neck and the comb is there slightly. The other two haven't shown those signs. Perhaps this one is a bit older.. a week or two?

4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

How old are they? She could be getting ready to lay. The ear thing doesn't mean anything. It just means she has muffs. It's a breed characteristic that some have and others don't when you're dealing with easter eggers. Any curly tail feathers coming in? Some burds just have thicker legs than others.

5. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    That is most definitely a pullet. She looks old enough that by now, if she were a boy, her comb would be a lot bigger and red.

6. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    She's an Easter Egger pullet, and likely what the other 2 are as well.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger pullet. The redder comb means she's more developed than her mates, closer to laying. The ear area feathers are just an individual thing, not a gender thing. Same for the neck. Her coloring is total female, you wont' see a rooster with those same colors. I'd guess eggs are about a month away, should be blue or green from the looks of her comb.

8. mommy25babies

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by