1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet has a limp wing, and foot , and can not keep her balance.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gpamela3499, Sep 20, 2009.

1. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    I have a four month old pullet that has a wing that she does not keep up. She also has developed a limp and can not keep her balance. Does this sound like something I should treat. I have never seen any injuries but the leg seems swollen. She does not seem to be growing as rapidly as my others She is a silver Lakenvelder pullet born in May.

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If her leg is swollen, I would think that indicates an injury. I would bring her in the house in a small cage, give her a little TLC and see if she improves over the next few days.

3. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Thank you for your reply.

She actually lives with only one other chicken a sweet little sultan (in the picture) Those two are allowed to run the back yard All my other chickens live in the coop. My backyard is a small urban backyard. I think that living there is better than the stress of living in the house.

However, I hope she is not in a lot of pain. I thought about bumble foot but she has none of the symptoms. Any other ideas.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    The only other thing I can think of is something neurological, since it seems to be affecting her entire side (wing/leg). It's possible she could have flown into something and hit her head...do you know if she's eating/drinking?

5. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    She is eating and drinking. She hangs with my sultan in the backyard. They scratch and walk around some but mostly just lay in a shady corner. I have cut her nails when they got too long from so little scratching. She can not keep her balance on a perch though and will flap her wings wildly until she lands/falls to the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by