Pullet has a poo problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Feb 19, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One of my 8 month old pullets has a poo problem. She has a bowel movement every time she lays an egg. Her eggs are good sized and beautiful in every way, except for the poo on em. She's been laying about 6 weeks.

I understand the mechanism of how a chicken lays an egg from the same orifice that she poops from without the eggs getting covered in poo - basically, the poo chute is closed off by the passage of the egg - so I have to wonder. Is this somethng that's likely to get better as she gets older? Or is she likely to always have this problem?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I had one that did that. No real poo in the nest, just a small deposit on practically every egg she laid. I don't understand the mechanics of how it happened, but it did.

You know how bloodthirsty and ruthless I am and when one gives me a reason to pick her when my crock pot gets empty, but I did give her several months. She never quit doo-dooing it.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks Ridge. Of course you know my crock pot is going to stay empty, but I appreciate your input [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

She must have a......a.....weak pooper-stopper muscle OR she just wants you to know for sure which eggs are hers. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I was afraid to say it. Glad you did! [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, thank you both, I just got coffee up my nose. That part wasn't so great, but the laugh that produced it was wonderful!

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

Oh, thank you both, I just got coffee up my nose. That part wasn't so great, but the laugh that produced it was wonderful!

*Points at Horsey...it's all her fault!*

8. HorseFeatherz NV

[​IMG] Moi? [​IMG]

[​IMG] Was not sure if I could *say* the sph***ter muscle word on BYC - still not sure if I can [​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh why use some stuffy ol' word like sphincter (there! I *said* it! [​IMG] ) when pooper-stopper is much more fun [​IMG]

10. HorseFeatherz NV

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by