1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet has her tail tucked-walking like E.T.????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Missouri chick, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    I say pullet because I don't think she has ever laid an egg. Her comb and wattles are still pink and I've never seen her in the nest box. Anyway,,,,she's close to egg laying, don't know exact age since she was given to me.

Vivian is walking and standing with her tail tucked downward. It kind of reminds me of an E.T. type of walk. She's eating and drinking fine. Doesn't seem to have another troubles. What do you all think? Is there anything I can do to help her?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Also need to add that she had poo stuck to her feathers below vent. I cleaned that off a few hours ago (soaked her in a warm water bath), but she still acts funny.

Thanks for listening......

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I'm not much help, but maybe she is just getting close to laying and is having some trouble. I hope she is ok.
    ~Rebecca

4. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Thanks Rebecca, I'd had that thought. I sure hope someone knows what to say. Just checked on the chickens, she's able to get up on the roost on her own.

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Does her vent look okay? Is it sticking out funny like prolapsed?
    She may just not know what the heck is happening if she will just be laying....
    keep us updated [​IMG]
    Christina

6. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Hey Christina, I checked her vent. No-nothing looks odd.

I dunno [​IMG]

7. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Maybe she's got cramps, lol. I shouldn't joke, but I woud bet she's got a big egg in there she's try to pass and I imagine that it can't be the most comfortable thing in the world...
    But BOY I bet it will taste good [​IMG]
    Hugs
    Christina

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Lori, usually a penguin-like stance is eggbound. Could be that she's having issues with the first eggs. It's not uncommon for them to lay soft shelled eggs or the contents of the egg without membrane or shell. Could be some of that is stuck or backed up somehow. I'd lube her up with veg oil or mineral oil, just shoot it up the vent. If you have latex gloves, you could feel around to see if there is anything up there.

9. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Cyn, thanks so much. I'll try that. [​IMG]

10. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Okay Lori.... The picture in my mind of this procedure is pretty funny. [​IMG] If needed, I can help out tomorrow. Do you have gloves or do I need to bring some? Don't use the 60cc syringe, she may end up with oil dripping out her nose from the force. [​IMG] Maybe this adventure won't end like some of our others....(AI attempt)...... [​IMG]
    Keep me informed about how she is doing, and if we need to stop and check on her on our way in tomorrow, let me know. If needed, I can take her home with me and watch her.

Stupid Question.... If a hen has an egg stuck(eggbound), can she still poo? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by