Pullet has minor scabbing around her vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bertman, Dec 3, 2011.

1. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    I have searched the site for info on this but to no avail.

Our seven month old NH Red pullet has a bit of a scabby-looking vent. Not all crusted up and gross like some of the pictures I've seen of gleet, but just a little bit scabby- or crusty-looking. When I say scabby, these are very small scabs and nothing red or irritated-looking, just not all clean and fleshy like the other girls. She also does not have feathers all the way around her vent like the other girls do. There's about a one-inch diameter area around the vent that is not feathery and has the look I described.

Any ideas on what this is and how I help her get rid of it--if it's bad for her?

Thanks.

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Are you sure that another hen is not pecking her around her vent and maybe pulling outs her feathers near the vent? I just found one of my hens doing that to my best layer. I had to move the aggressor to another coop for an attitude adjustment.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  4. bertman

May 13, 2011
    I had not thought about pecking but that could be the case, I suppose.

Why would they peck only around her vent? That seems pretty strange to me.

Thanks, RhodeIslandRedFan, for the pictures and chart. Luckily it doesn't look like any of the mite or lice infestations that are shown.

Maybe I should have said that it almost looks like she has scabby/scaly little brownish spots. For what that's worth.

5. bertman

May 13, 2011
    Anyone else have any ideas about what this might be?

Thanks.

6. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Mites... Dust with Sevin Dust. Use the search here on BYC... Search for "Treating Mites"... "Dusting with Sevin Dust"... etc.

Clean coop, roosts, nesting boxes.. clean everything up and dust each chicken -- also sprinkle a little Sevin Dust on the roosts, a little in the clean nests, on the dirt / sand, etc..

Since mites are "blood suckers".. I am figuring she has mites... also look under her wings, in her "armpits".. on the skin. If one has mites, they all have mites... Repeat treatment in ten days.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by