pullet has pale and droopy comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by threecutechicks, Dec 10, 2011.

1. threecutechicks

threecutechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    My buff orpington pullet has a light pinkish droopy comb and has no other symptoms. She has no pasty butt, her eggs are clean and nice and even acts like a normal chicken should. Is there anything I need to worry about? I have not given her anything but her food, water and oyster shells. She does get treats like dried worms, scratch and an occasional table scrap. The other 2 girls get all of the same thing and their combs are straight and red. Oh, and there is loose stool, but I don't know who is doing that.[​IMG]

2. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking mites . . . they can definitely cause anemia and therefore pale comb. Any chance of that?

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    ICallMyselfCherie' :

I am thinking mites . . . they can definitely cause anemia and therefore pale comb. Any chance of that?

X2. I would check for lice and mites as well. Here is a link with some information. http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

4. threecutechicks

threecutechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    Thanks!!! they do take frequent dirt baths. I checked her and find no bugs:D on her or the other 2. Strange in the pacific NW that they can find a dry patch of dirt, even in the winter!!!!!

5. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    red mite actually live in the house and not on your hen they come out at night to bite them and drink their blood. The best time to check for red mite is when it is dark and the hens are roosting. Go out and rub a white tissue under the perches if there are blood smears on the tissue you have red mite. The other option for a pale comb is the moult. Often during this time their combs go quite pale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by