pullet has swollen eye

sneaton1

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
i just got a black star pullet a few days ago, and she was fine this morning when i let her out to free range. when i put her back in the coop i noticed one eye was swollen.....there's also a little discharge coming out of the nostril on that side. she is acting fine, so i assume it was a bee sting or possibly a peck from one of the other hens, as she is new. it's not swollen shut, just a little puffier than the other eye. any ideas on what might be going on?

I haven't had too much luck getting answers here but from the past posts I have seen, she might need to be treated for an upper respiratory infection. I hope someone helps you.
hmm.png

now it looks like both sides are swollen, one side more than the other. the eye is still open, i have noticed its warm or hot around the swelling and there is alittle discharge coming from her nostrils. she is still acting fine so im assuming its from being pecked on by the other to hens since she is new

Do you have other chickens? Get her away from the others ASAP. Without pics and more info on symptoms, it's hard to tell, but my first thought is a respiratory infection and those are often contageous.

Do some research on the 'net about chicken diseases, and focus on the respiratory ones to see if you notice any other symptoms. Any coughing/sneezing? Any lethargy or weight loss (may be too early if the onset has just started)?

Same problem I had with my girl the other day. Mixed comments on it, but here's what i did. Removed her from the flock(don't want it to spread) I cleaned out the eye with hot water and a rag and put some kids Polysporin on the area. Then started everyone on antibiotics, the type you disolve in their water. Its used to treat all kinds of things but most importantly Respitory issues. Some other sugested Tylan 50 its a injectable abitbiotic thats supposed to work real fast. Can get it at most TSC stores

We are on Day 2 1/2 now and the swelling is gone eye is still a little goopy but she is doing much better.

ok,this morning the swelling has really gone down,but her head still feels pretty warm. she is acting kind of lazy and stands there with her eyes closed. i noticed when i closed up the coop last night that there was a wasps nest inside and a few wasps flying around so i destroyed it. i still think she got stung because when i first got her a few days ago i noticed how good she is at foraging and jumping in the air to catch bugs, so i assume she jumped to catch a wasp since the coop is only 3x4. she dosent have any other symptoms like bubble eye or cough,and its been 2 days and my two other hens are fine. i heard that if its hot around the eyes then its most likely a wound than a respiratory infection,have any of you heard this

how long would it take for the other 2 hens to show symptoms if it is a infection?

Back
Top Bottom