Pullet has swollen, featherless rear end....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bburn, Dec 8, 2010.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I just got these chickens last week.

I KNOW the one pullet did not have a bald butt when I got it or even yesterday.....for SURE not the day before. There are two pullets in there that are not even at POL. I just went out to check on them and the one has no feathers on her butt and it is swollen....not red, yet.

What causes this and what do I do? I can't believe she would be egg bound as she has not started laying. I realize there is stress when you get them and I have been giving yogurt, BOSS and feed and keeping plenty of fresh water in the tractor. They are in quarantine and have been since I got them. This is a Cochin and she is around 6 months. Well here I am assuming she has not laid yet. But her face is not red, comb small.....assumed because she is a Cochin that she is like my rooster and slow to develop.

Will have DH help when he gets home and get her out of the tractor and into a crate.

She is eating. Looking healthy. Not lethargic at all. Came running for treats with the others.

But between her legs and below her vent she is swollen and there are no feathers. The reason I know she had feathers when I got her is because two ended up being roos and two are hens. They were all butts towards me when I noticed. There were no bald butts.

What could have happened so quickly?
    And what do do?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Nah....am the quarantine queeen.

She is in quarantine with what turns out to be a rooster, and young rooster that is supposed to be her son and a pullet the same hatch as the young rooster.....I just went out and looked again. The one with the bald, swollen butt seems to be a little older. The people did tell me from the start that is was a hen and her three chicks, that were GIRLS. Ended up with the hen and her two chicks, boy and girl and another, older looking rooster.

BUT....just looked. The problem is the older of the two hens and her butt is bald and I THINK maybe it could then be eggbound. So, I am off to read that. When DH gets home will have to have him help me get her out of the tractor.

I wonder if being eggbound could be from the stress of being moved like this. She has not laid an egg since she has been here....just a few days....but honestly did not expect her to.

Thanks Ddawn for the response. But I think I was wrong in what I posted. At least about the age of the hen.....off to read more.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ah. Well I sure wish you luck with her. Sounds like you will have your hands full.

5. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Am pretty sick about it....needed her to be healthy. Will see what she looks like tomorrow and get her out of the tractor and put her in a crate. The nest had been knocked over. I wonder if that would have caused the problem for her. Not having a nest to lay in. I just feel like it is the stress of moving really....will see what needs to be done tomorrow. tks...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by