Pullet hasn't laid for more than 2 months, can't figure it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daloorashens, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    I have an OE pullet that started laying a cute little olive egg the first part of July and laid almost everyday for about 5 weeks. The last week that she laid the eggs got lighter until the last one was robin blue. Haven't seen an egg since (from her).
    She doesn't act sick, eats well, isn't at the bottom of the pecking order, no mites that I can see, doesn't seem to be egg-bound and her comb is nice and red. I have other hens that are laying regularly, so I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a sickness or something going through the flock... She isn't even checking out the nest boxes anymore, would love to hear opinions about what might be going on with her?

2. Daloorashens

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    I should probably give this a bump in the morning, since it's late on the east coast and many of you fellow-bycer's are over there=)

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    she could be molting. It could be a mild molt so that there is not a lot of feathers around. Other than that I do not know

4. Daloorashens

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    She's young, she was hatched early this year, so I wasn't expecting a molt??

Still looking for any other ideas...

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    My guess is that her genetic make up was probably not from the best layers. She may just be one to take breaks from laying.

6. Daloorashens

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Interesting thought,... I didn't realize they would take that long of a break.... I'm still really hoping she starts laying again before winter...

7. Daloorashens

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Giving this another bump...

8. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I'm betting shes moulting. If shes a slow moulter, she may be moulting for a long time and not start laying until its completed. I have one hen that hasnt laid in over a month and just now can tell shes moulting.
    Also, are you feeding her a complete diet? Is she getting enough calcium? Or is she possibly hiding eggs somewhere? just some thoughts from personal experience.

9. Daloorashens

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    She's on the same diet at the other birds that are laying, and there's not anywhere for her to hide them, I've wondered about that, too.... She was born this year, would she really molt already?

10. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Here is a good article about moulting: http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/chickens-moulting
    Young pullets will have small moults a couple times during their growth period. Then usually they fully moult when 13-18 months old. Moulting can take 6 weeks or longer. Purebreeds tend to take longer with moulting then mixed breeds. If they look healthy I would just hold in there and maybe supplement with some Black Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) for extra protein. Hope that helps. Maybe someone else will chime in with some additional ideas

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by