pullet hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kathyb2, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Kathyb2

Kathyb2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    I paid $40 shipped, for 12 hatching eggs. I specifically asked that they be shipped the week of 7/28. They were shipped on 7/25 and spent all of Sunday at my post office. I live in So GA and temps were mid 90's yesterday. Not happy about the ship date. When I opened the box 4 were broken. I am ok with that, there were 2 extra's. Most of the eggs are obviously pullet eggs. Am I wrong to expect to have been told that they were pullet eggs before I bought the eggs? The pullet eggs are really small. I am trying to decide whether I want to even try them in the incubator. I asked for a refund, but I am pretty sure that is not going to happen. Would you try to hatch them?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j True BYC Addict

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    What are you going to lose by trying? OK, other than 3 weeks of babysitting an incubator, but you're still not out much. If you do incubate them and they don't hatch, oh well - you tried. If you do get some to hatch, then at least you've gotten something for your $40.

3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I agree, I sell hatching eggs and as a rule I do not sell pullet eggs but I know of many hatchers and breeders that have no issue with selling and buying them. From now on when buying eggs the OP knows now to state clearly that she/he does not want pullet eggs.

If the money was returned would the OP still try and hatch the eggs and if the hatch went well would the OP then return the money?? I don't mean to sound rude, keyboards tend to do that with comments, I was just curious.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    You are correct I will always say no pullet eggs in the future. The seller agreed to send me more (hen eggs), if I pay shipping. I have purchased hatching eggs more than a few times, and never received pullet eggs. They are really small. I would think that the seller would let the buyer know they are buying pullet eggs. I haven't decided yet if I am going to put them in the incubator. They would have to be teeny tiny chicks to fit in those eggs.

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]
    One of my pullets started producing egg's at 14 weeks 3 a week documented by having he in a cage by herself ......

[​IMG]
    By week 20 she went broody so for entertainment I let her go ....

[​IMG]
    At 23 weeks on the dot she started hatching egg's .....

[​IMG]
    Week 25 she was a witchy mommy pullet .....

You paid for the egg's so you should give it that 7 day try to see if any are viable but I do think I would not buy from seller again as that is something that should be advertised at that price .........

6. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    Wow, it's hard to believe they fit in those eggs. That's pretty cool. My eggs are about the same size as the smaller blue eggs in the picture. I put them in the incubator tonight. Out of the 14, 5 made it in. Had a few with hairline cracks that I am not going to even try. I think the shells are softer because they are pullet eggs. Either that or the post office was playing football with the box. I never had even one broken egg before this box. I will remove any that even look alittle off on day 7. Wish me luck.

Quote:

That is what I thought too.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What size is a pullet egg? Do we go by weight....in grams??
    Ya can't just guess can ya?
    Is 40 and 50 grams big enough??

I've got 2 new girls that started laying 3 and 1 1/2 weeks ago in the junior coop, OE and Wellie fertilized by Wellie cockerel......
    ......and now I've got a broody in the main coop....wondering if I should give the broody some of these pullet eggs.

8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't weigh pullet eggs, I do allow the hen to get things right, lay consistently for a few months and the egg to not be that little bitty thing they lay at first... I am at this time incubating a few pullet eggs, some under a broody set to hatch this weekend and some in my incubator set to hatch within a few days of the broody... One thing I have noticed with the incubator eggs, the smaller eggs seem to be developing alittle faster (maybe they have to because the egg itself is small) the air cell if just a tad bit further along then the rest...
    I typically don't depend on my pullet eggs for hatching and since I sell eggs for hatching I do not sell those eggs unless a customer ask for a certain breed then I tell them up front that they are pullet eggs and sometimes have a harder time hatching...
    I have another hen looking to want to go broody... I'm giving her a few days on some fake eggs to see if she is serious or not.. My second Maran.. she is 6.5 months old lol... I wish she would have done this last week as I would have given her the incubator eggs but seeing that they only have a week to go I wont because I am too afraid she wouldn't be fully broody by the time they hatch. If she is serious I'll give her pullet eggs too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by