Pullet having trouble standing/walking

BKirkland

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
Virginia
Good morning all. I have a roughly 4-5 wk old blue laced golden wyandotte who is having issues standing/walking. I've checked for the obvious signs of injury/illness and I think she may have an injured leg. I've had to move her in front of her water/food and her appetite when I do that definitely hasn't decreased. I recently had to treat all my chicks (5) with Corid for potential coccidiosis and they finished their initial treatment yesterday. I added electrolytes to their water last night to help with their hydration as well. I didn't have time this morning but will be isolating her this evening so she doesn't get trampled. Would starting her on vitamins help with her injury? She has no issues with her neck and she doesn't have slayed legs. Any recommendations you can offer would be great.

edit: we are quarantining her so she doesn't get trampled by the others and so it's easier for her to get to her food/water. I started her on poly vi sol w/o iron tonight and I'll be doing 2 drops 2x/day to see if that helps. Checked for tendon issues and there's no swelling that i could see or feel. When I put my finger under each foot she very lightly tried to roost/grip it. Hoping it is indeed just a vitamin deficiency and that we'll start seeing improvements soon.
339627558_1022627828717185_1949430821071257128_n.jpg

Last edited:
One thing comes to mind. Corid blocks an important B-vitamin. It's sometimes necessary to give a B-complex to chicks after a Corid treatment to counteract this effect. Just get a bottle of vitamin B-complex from any place that sells human vitamins. It's water soluble so just mix a couple tablets into the drinking water each day for the next few weeks. You should see improvement fairly soon.

One thing comes to mind. Corid blocks an important B-vitamin. It's sometimes necessary to give a B-complex to chicks after a Corid treatment to counteract this effect. Just get a bottle of vitamin B-complex from any place that sells human vitamins. It's water soluble so just mix a couple tablets into the drinking water each day for the next few weeks. You should see improvement fairly soon.
In case it's not just Vit B would getting something like Durvet vitamin and electrolytes work the same or better?

It would work okay, but not better. There should be a concentration of at minimum 50mg of the Bs. 100mg is even better. Also, electrolytes are not meant to be used every day for extended periods.

Back
Top Bottom