Pullet/Hen Introductions

Swiftbow

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello!

So our little chicks (Freckles, Gabby, and Penny) are six weeks old now, out-grown their tub in our living room, and we're working on moving them to the outside coop. We've been doing slow yard introductions (at a distance, at first), and then moved up to all our birds in the yard at once. We have two adult hens (Lady Cluck and Sparra). Lady Cluck doesn't seem to give one whit about the chicks (she is our top hen), but Sparra is a bit more incensed about it.

Yesterday, the chicks had their first close encounter with Sparra when she pulled a few feathers from Freckles. They scattered, and now they're giving her a wide berth, moving off whenever she comes close. She hasn't pecked them again, but she has given them menacing looks.

Anyway... we have a chicken transport cage (solid floor) of a pretty large size that fits in a corner of our coop, so I rigged it up with the chick's food and water and lodged a little roost from them across the bars. That was they could be in the coop, but be safe from attacks. Tonight, we tried to put that rig in the main coop, but our chicks fairly freaked out when they Sparra up on the main roost and kept trying to escape the cage and get away.

We watched and tried to comfort them for about 15 minutes, but it only abated slightly. (Sparra was making some noise as well, and pecked my head twice when I leaned near her.) We finally decided to take the rig out of there and move it to the shed for the night. I'm hoping maybe they can acclimate to the new cage before we try to put them with the adults again. They seemed okay in the shed, though they did distress peep a bit when we turned out the light and left. They looked to be getting ready to nap a bit later, though, and a bit after that I couldn't hear any noise. So I'm assuming they're all right!

Is this a good plan? Is there anything else we can do to make this work better? Our coop is good-sized, but it's not huge.

Attachments

• IMGP4714.JPG
    IMGP4714.JPG
    760.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 98352053_10220084520455910_7254637218247999488_n.jpg
    98352053_10220084520455910_7254637218247999488_n.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 98343589_10220084521135927_6727652101192679424_n.jpg
    98343589_10220084521135927_6727652101192679424_n.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi. Does the smaller cage one that all 3 younger chicks fit in comfortably with food, grit and water? Is it also something the other hens can see the chicks in but not harm them in? If so, I suggest you keep the chicks in it for about a week, 24/7. In plain view of the older hens. Let them basically get used to each other without being able to do each other harm. Day and night for a week. Do not separate them. Then after a week, open the inner gate and let them mingle. There will probably be no problems. They will be used to each other.

Hi. Does the smaller cage one that all 3 younger chicks fit in comfortably with food, grit and water? Is it also something the other hens can see the chicks in but not harm them in? If so, I suggest you keep the chicks in it for about a week, 24/7. In plain view of the older hens. Let them basically get used to each other without being able to do each other harm. Day and night for a week. Do not separate them. Then after a week, open the inner gate and let them mingle. There will probably be no problems. They will be used to each other.

Yes to both questions. But I'd feel pretty bad keeping the chicks in there 24/7. It's a bit cramped for all day, and they're used to going outside every day. (We've been letting them out daily since they were about 2 weeks old in this cool chicken tent thing we bought for them.)

As previously mentioned, the chicks were quite desperate to get out of the cage when they saw Sparra. They were trying to squeeze through the cage bars pretty incessantly and distress cheeping constantly. I don't want to put them through that if I can help it.

You could probably put them all together if you have places where the little ones can go to get away from Sparra if necessary. Tunnel-shaped things, not boxes where they can't get away, if that makes sense, and "L" shaped things they can hide behind. Once you put them together, try not to interfere unless blood is drawn. They will work out their pecking order. Usually it's noisy but nobody gets seriously hurt. Taking them out means they just start over. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom