Pullet in shock help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FluffyPuff, Oct 18, 2014.

1. FluffyPuff

FluffyPuff Chillin' With My Peeps

My young EE flew over the fence, with the dogs on the other side and we don't know the rest of the story. We found her on her back eyes closed dead. After doing the chicken version of mouth to mouth we revived her and held her for 45 minutes and her heart rate was able to go down. We then brought her inside and checked her out. Everything seems ok except for a beat up comb and scratched beak. After that we used a large aviary filled with hay and put down feed and water for her. Before we put her inside we made her drink lots of water. We wanted to make sure and Put her there instead of in the coop with the others because she still very weak and we didn't want the others to pick on her. She is still really really scared and still in shock but she's doing a lot better now. Is there anything more we can do for her to ensure she makes it through the night? Thank you we love every single one of our chickens and we would be incredibly sad to see her go. She was one of the chicks we planned to sell (we have too many since we ordered our baby chicks in bulk) but she is still our chicken nonetheless. Since this accident I have named her Molty because of her coloration and pattern.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If there's a serious wound, clean it and dress it as one would for a human wound; saline, betadine, neosporine, etc..

She should be fine if not seriously injured. Keep her quiet, in a warm place and hydrated.

3. FluffyPuff

No serious wounds as far as I can tell but she's really fluffy so we might have missed something. However I doubt it. I don't think she suffered internal injuries because If she did her heart beat would irregular and hers seems very steady and consistent. The temperature out here is 81°F. I left water in there for her and forced her to drink before we went back inside for the night. Have you or any other members out there ever revived a chicken like this? I'm a little proud! :)

4. BrendaAnn

BrendaAnn New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    Good job with bringing her back to life. I've not heard of this. Anyway, still plan on selling her?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, I had a couple hens that were quite chewed up by raccoons. They looked rough but pulled through. Another with a dog bite that wasn't too bad. Most dog attacks don't leave live birds behind.

6. FluffyPuff

Yes probably. We are over stocked with 18 chickens and I'm planning on keeping the sweetest ones and she was one of the more skittish chicks but maybe she will be bolder in the end. I haven't made any final decisions yet but I'm not planning on selling her until they all start laying. And an update on her: she's doing very well and is back in the run with her sisters eating bugs and getting into mischief!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  7. MenyaBolsheNet

MenyaBolsheNet New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    Sandwich, IL
    I just wanted to say that what you did for your chicken is just so.. awesome. I don't even know how to say it. :) You revived your chicken! You saved her life! I am very impressed by your actions! I'm so happy you were able to save her! Props to you!!!!

Where did you learn chicken CPR? I think that would be something good for me to learn. Just in case.

8. FluffyPuff

Chicken CPR is very easy and honestly we just kind of made it up and went with it we never really learned it but hey I guess it works! We just cupped her face with our hands and blew into her beak. We also massaged her breast and held her tight and petted her side in a dark area (it was already dark since this was at night).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  9. MenyaBolsheNet

MenyaBolsheNet New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    Sandwich, IL
    Well, very cool. :) Good job improvising!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by