1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet in TERRIBLE shape!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OkChickens, Dec 17, 2010.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    One of my Buff Orphington pullets is mopping around with her wings down dragging the ground. I noticed when I came down to my coop and saw her get trampled by about 50 chickens. She won't eat or drink water. I have her separated in my 2x6 brooder pen with a heat lamp. I hate seeing this happen! What do I do?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    How old is she?

I am having a problem with one of my hens, and this link came up. Maybe you can find some info that might help.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    You should go back to the "emergency" in the Index and post answers to the sticky.

I can say its critical to keep her warm, indoors and get fluids into her. You can use a dropper but administer it slowly to prevent aspiration. It would also help to put a touch of sugar in the first dropper or two of water. Then once she gets this give her plain water each half hour for the first few hours then add a vitamin/mineral supplement water. If she'll eat scrambled or chopped hard cooked egg may help.

Hopefully your answers may help us give more help.

4. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Maybe 7-10 weeks old, right around there.

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Cocci? Have you given her medicated feed? have you checker her poo? I would advise you to check it. At that age, and those symptoms, I would suspect cocci. I had one pulletout of a hatch of 12 come down with it. She pulled through it fine. I happened to have some medicated feed, since I had meat chicks at the time, and gave her some of that. If you don't have medicated, there is some of the med that you can buy. Amprolyum? It's late, I'm tired, but it's something like that.

6. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    She did not make it through the night in the brooder pen in isolation... I put a heat lamp and food and water in there but I did not work. Thanks for the help though!

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I am so sorry you lost her. [​IMG]

8. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    I am so sorry, also. [​IMG] I am going thru the same thing, & I am hoping

My Leghorn pullet, Sunny, has been looking scrawny & today she was just standing under a chair as if to keep the rain off.
    First, I set her up in a kennel outside with fresh straw, on her own.
    Then, I & brought her inside after I reconciled myself to having to clean up some mess in the house.

I am praying she pulls through, then I will check for pests & maybe buy her diapers & keep her in the house while this horrible weather persists.
    It hurts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by