1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet injured by cockerel as they came out of the coop this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Liamm_1, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I realize that first thing in the morning, his testosterone is likely spiking, and probably trying to mate. They are 19 weeks old, and I have 6 Sumatras, 3 cockerels, 3 pullets. The smallest cockerel seems to be the biggest a-hole, and he's the one that jumped on the smallest hen this morning. At first, she was hobbling around, and it looked as though her right wing was dislocated. I got her alone, and fed her some BOSS out of my hand to calm her down, then slowly picked her up to hold her. She NEVER even lets me get near her, let alone hold her, so she had to be hurting to let me do that. I held her in my lap for a while, feeding her more BOSS, and after a while, she decided to get down, and join the others. She appears to be fine now, and once again won't let me near her lol.
    Do cockerels learning to mate often injure the pullets like that? Is it always temporary, or can they really do major harm? She's probably 1/2 his size, even though they are the same age. I confined him to the run for now, while the others are free ranging. Is he likely to try it again during the day? I know first thing coming out of the coop, the males tend to be a bit excited, morning chicken-wood I guess. I've been trying to re-home him and another cock, so I'll have just the largest cock and 3 pullets, but no luck so far. This morning made me think processing roos is going to be easier than I thought....I've been dreading having to do that lol

2. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Mean roos are just a pain in the butt, and unless they have something that you really need in your breeding program, just not worth having around. A very aggresive roo can hurt the girls and you're better off without him. Sometimes you can calm them down by penning them up in a cage away from everyone else for a few days. Give them a little "time out" and sometimes they act better.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    3:3 is a bad ratio. I would separate the boys from the girls if at all possible. The girls are probably being harassed all day long. Before long they will be showing signs of over-mating, and it will be sooner than you think. I had a young cockerel accidentally kill a young pullet by pouncing on her head. It broke or severely dislocated her neck and she had to be culled. This is a rare occurrence, but it can happen. The boys can be very rough as youngsters and the girls need some protection from them sometimes. A good ratio of hens to roos is 10:1. I would address your ratio problem as soon as possible.

I hope your girl is OK. Good luck.

PS- Processing is a lot easier than you think. Anticipation of it is far worse than just doing it.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Young roosters and a bad rooster to hen ratio are causing your problems. In the competition of wanting to mate the hens before the other roosters get outside, this cockerel inadvertantly hurt the hen. Seperate or remove two of your cockerels and things SHOULD (no guarantee) improve.

5. Liamm_1

She's back to normal now, which is a relief for sure. I need to either process [​IMG] or rehome 2 of these very quickly. I had an ad on CL a while back, no luck. I posted another one today, dropping the price from $25 to $15. If I have no takers, I'll either try to process or see if a neighbor will want them.

6. Liamm_1

Deleted (double post)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When we first started with chickens and had more roos than we needed I tired to find homes for them, nope no body wants a rooster, so now instead of even trying we just go ahead an process, It's hard the first time but you get use to it and at least we know they were well taken care of while they were here and we can enjoy them as food.{ at least we know what they were feed and how they were processed]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    To me, processing roos is just part of having chickens. Not always convenient, but I'm not going to let them beat up their girls. And they taste good....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by