Pullet injured by hen. Swollen eyes now runny. Crusty nostril (PICS Added)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leslieb118, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I've got another thread going about the behavior of my hen that injured my pullet.(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630261/older-hen-flogs-pullet-for-submitting-to-roo) But now I need medical advice for my pullet. A few days ago I noticed my hen pecked the "you know what" out of my pullet, right in the eye..for submitting to the rooster. First in one eye, which caused swelling, and then again in the other eye. I'm in the process of trying to work out the flock dynamics for that issue. Well, this morning my pullet's eyes were both almost completely shut, and oozy. (the hen had no access to her) I put her in a cage and brought her in the garage. I wiped her eyes off with a damp paper towel, flushed them with eye wash, and put some vetericyn eye gel on them. TSC was out of Terramycin. As I was doing that, I noticed one of her nostrils was a little crusty. I dampened another paper towel and got that off. There was a little bit of mucous underneath, but not a lot. She is eating a little, drinking quite normally. I did add Poly Vi Sol (no Iron) to her water. She's drinking that with no problem at all. Her tail is up, but she's fluffed up somewhat. I do have Duramycin-10 that I can give her. I don't want to give her antibiotics though, if it's not needed. Any advice on what else I can or should be doing? Should I treat her with the antibiotics? Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I've been nursing this eye all day, and it's looking better. She's still squinty, but not goopy. I'm going to keep her in the garage overnight and see how she's doing in the morning. Her other eye is looking much better. If her eyes aren't stuck together again in the morning, then I'll assume she's on the mend and I'll return her to the coop and put the hen back in chicken jail. My only other concern is that little bit of drainage from her nostrils. She's not sneezing, wheezing or coughing, so maybe it could be from the swelling around her eyes? The picture does not do justice to what she looked like saturday. Her eyes were swollen shut and the skin that's normally red was white. Still not sure if she should be put on antibiotics either. She laid her first egg on the 15th, with her 2nd on the 17th, and then the flogging began with no eggs since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by