Pullet Injured by rooster *Warning Graphic Pics*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littlechicklet, Mar 24, 2013.

1. littlechicklet

littlechicklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    This is a first for me and have never heard of it happening before. My rooster injured one of the pullets during breeding. He accidentally clawed her and started a tear. Each time he bred her he increased the tear. I did not even know she was injured. She acted normal and aside from some feather loss on her back it was not visible. I did not discover the injury or the extent of the damage until I went to put a saddle on her.

I was horrified when I saw her (sorry did not get pics of the before surgery). She was ripped from her hip all the way around to her air sac area. There was a flap of skin hanging the size of my palm. All this damage had been hidden by her wing. I soaked her in an Epson salt bath to determine if there was anything I could do. After her soak it was obvious this was not something I could treat.

I made the decision to take her in to an avian vet in my area. The doctor examined her and told me this rarely happens but it can happen. She underwent surgery to remove some of the skin and stitch up what could be saved. She is on 14 days of antibiotics and will return to the flock once she heals. I discovered this on Monday evening, she had surgery on Tuesday and laid an egg on Saturday. She seems to be doing well.

I just wanted to share this so others will be aware it is something that can happen with normal chicken behaviors. I will check my pullets/hens weekly to make sure they do not have any tears from here on out.

This is PS after surgery and is how she looked before on her back when I found her damage.
    [​IMG]

Here is the damage that was hiding under her wing after surgery
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Thassa

Thassa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    Wow poor girl! Lucky you found it when you did!

3. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Yes, although this hasn't happened to any of our hens yet, it's something we are aware of and keep an eye out for. We've started getting chicken saddles for all the hens who get the most attention from the roosters, since even without the risk of a gash like this, they do get a bit plucked from the attention and we want to prevent any injury if we can.

It's good that you bring this to others' attention, as it is a risk many aren't aware of.

4. littlechicklet

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    Thanks Thassa & PrairieChickens. I hope this helps others too.

5. pen

pen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Oh my gosh! This is exactly what a few of my chickens look like. I posted a question about it just last week not knowing what was going on. I think that lately the chickens have been "cooped up" too much lately. They dont like going out when the weather is yucky and we've had a lot of that lately. I think it's time to make chicken and dumplings with the roo although I was sure wanting to see if I could hatch some chicks this spring. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures because that is what I needed!

6. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    pen, you might consider getting some hen saddles for your girls. It will protect their backs from the rooster's attention.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. littlechicklet

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    You are welcome. I am so glad this has helped someone. Like PrairieChickens said get some saddles for your chickens or separate them from the rooster until they heal or you get the saddles. If you google it you will find alot of patterns for saddles & you could even hand sew them if you don't have a sewing machine. They are very simple to make. Good luck.
    x2! and thanks for posting the pics. I think it will help others.

8. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I actually got them from a seller on here. The price was very reasonable, and the quality is top-notch. If you like, I can share a link to her site, but I won't do it unless someone asks me to. :)

9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Keep those spurs cut and filed smooth at the ends and this problem can be avoided.

10. littlechicklet

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    Thank you. I am afraid if I keep my rooster's spurs cut and filed smooth then it will hinder his ability to protect the flock when they are free ranging. [​IMG] I guess if they were cooped/penned all the time it would be an excellent way to avoid this but since mine free range daily I will stick to the saddles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by