Pullet injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cassn, Feb 29, 2016.

1. cassn

cassn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2015
    One of our girls got hurt on Saturday afternoon/evening. Not sure how. I came out to check in them outside and saw blood on her neck. I took her inside right away and we were able to get a better look at the injury. We got it cleaned and the skin back in place. She's inside where we have a little recovery room for her. Saturday night she was almost panting and seemed very uncomfortable. The injury is on the side of her head. Sunday and today she seems to overall be okay. We've been checking on her frequently. She's drinking plenty and eating the layer feed here and there. Had some oatmeal this morning and a couple of raisins. But sometime in the early morning today (between when I checked on her late last night and first thing this morning), she has pulled out a bunch of her foot feathers. I don't see any damages, I'm just concerned with this behavior. Any thoughts?

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    What kinds of predators do you have in your area?

3. cassn

cassn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2015
    Hawks mostly. Every now and then a dog, but usually we know because our dogs freak out. I haven't really seen much else.

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    What breeds of hawks do you have, do you know? Red-tailed hawks are especially known for preying on chickens. Do your chickens free range or are they kept in a run? If so, is your run secure? Do you think that a hawk could of got a hold of her?

5. cassn

cassn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2015
    No idea what kind of hawks they are. They free range for the time being. We're in the process of building an enclosed run. Right now they're only let out after we're done with work until the enclosed run is finished. Our injured girl seems to be behaving normally for the most part, but I'm not sure about her pulling out her foot feathers? I don't know if she was just stressed about being inside and away from the others and being injured and that's how she reacted?

6. cassn

cassn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2015
    I don't see hawks very often though. I've seen them a lot more frequently other places we've lived. We do have some owls, but I've only heard them and they're pretty far back in our woods and the chickens are always in at dark

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    She probably doesn't like staying away from the flock, that is probably the reason for her plucking out her feathers, or does she have mites? Either way, yes- she is more than likely stressed. How frequently do you see other dogs? Were you home the day that the injury happened?

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Have you ever actually saw an owl near your chickens?

9. cassn

cassn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2015
    Makes sense. No mites. She was only pulling her foot feathers when she was alone, so I was thinking it was stress or being in pain from the injury? During the day she's been with our dogs and seems to be fine, she was only pulling her feathers out the first night, but her feet are almost bare now.
    Thankfully I've only seen other dogs a couple of times. I went and talked to a neighbor who had a more aggressive dog that kept coming up and she's kept in a run now.
    I haven't seen any owls near the chickens, but I know there are some within a quarter mile of the coop.
    I was home but went inside for a short time. When I came back out I noticed the blood, but she was standing behind or rooster separate from the other girls. She is one of his younger girls (we have two different age groups) and he has been particularly protective of the younger ones.

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Could you possibly post a picture of your injured chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by