Pullet insists on laying egg from roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twandx, Nov 4, 2009.

1. twandx

twandx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    Wykum, first in the flock of 5 Black Stars to start laying, will not use nesting boxes but lays eggs from roost. I've put a nesting box adjacent to the roost, put her in it to acquaint her but so far to no avail.

For now have a newspaper covered foam block beneath the roost. Rescued one egg which is well formed and of good size for a pullet.

Flock is free ranged with the whole backyard to roam in but they go into the chicken house at night. Any ideas of what I can do will be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    A few of mine started out that way. They usually figure it out after a bit. You can try putting some fake eggs in the nesting boxes to help them get the idea. I like the idea of the padding under her roosting spot, good thinking.

[​IMG]

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    same here, the first several were found under the roost. Place one (mark it so you dont use it) in the nest box or a golf ball or plastic easter egg in the box and they will get the idea soon.

4. twandx

twandx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks to both of you who responded. I do have nest boxes prepared before laying began, with a golf ball easily seen in both of them.

When the first pullet to lay did it from the perch, I thought it might be that they were intensitly preditor wise and did not like nest boxes on the floor so I hung one on the wall, easily reached from the perch. I also introduced the chicken to the new box a couple of times but still the perch laying continued.

This flock of 5 started out avoiding the perching area and just found a high point where they cold all cuddle together. I increased the hight of the roost and then they started to use it. They all came to me together on the day they hatched and mostly roam and feed, go to perch as a group.

Thanks again, it appears this behavior is fairly common and I'll just have to wait them out. The newspaper covered foam pillows work fine and eggs are intact. Winkum laid her 5th egg in a row sometime last night - Wotta pullet!

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sounds like you have a good plan. She should get the idea after a little while. I forgot to add in my first post that I do have one that lays from the roost fairly often. The others that did it only dropped their eggs a couple of times before they started using the boxes, but this girl (red sex link) NEVER misses a day of laying. I guess she doesn't mind laying at night so when her cycle has her laying after dark those eggs are always on the floor. She does use the boxes when she lays during daylight hours though. It's hard to be to upset about the occasional busted egg when she's such a productive girl.

Enjoy your chickies, I never would of believed how entertaining they are before I got mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by