1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet - irregular layer

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickiebabe851, Aug 10, 2013.

1. chickiebabe851

chickiebabe851 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2013
    There was a dilemma with my two chickens... For a while I was convinced they were both roosters, then only one rooster, now... ONE is def. a hen :) Found 1 egg Aug 1. Now since then (10 days later) I have only seen 5 eggs (2 of which were broken on the floor of the coop). It has been 5 days since I've seen an egg. They are 18 weeks old. As far as I know, only one is laying. Recently switched their feed from starter/grower to layer (bad idea?) and cut back on poultry treats (Product of Omega for poultry). Are they stressed? I haven't seen signs of parasites. Is this normal or should I change something in the coop.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Switching to layer is probably a good idea or you can keep them on grower and give oyster shell in a separate container.
    New layers are often inconsistent.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    New layers do weird things. They don't just start putting out an egg a day, their systems are new and production gets messed up sometimes. Irregular laying, skipping several days, forgetting to put the shell on, double yolks, no yolks, shells with weird lumps and bumps, meat spots inside---these are all within the realm of normal to happen when a bird first starts laying. I don't think you need to give them anything but time.

4. chickiebabe851

Jun 14, 2013
    what does it look like without a shell? Their droppings have changed too.. I know, weird observation but Ive noticed they poop in the same place now and sometimes its a big white ball....

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is just a blob inside the membrane, like a water balloon.

6. chickiebabe851

Jun 14, 2013
    The first 5 eggs were dark brown, now the last have been light brown. Can I conclude that 2 are laying? or the feed changes the egg color? The only signs I have to go off that I think that two are laying... when I go to pick them up they squat down and put their wings out a little bit. I don't know what else to look for in expecting layers.

Whats the latest lay date for this breed?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Different color eggs mean different hens laying. Sounds like you have two layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by