Pullet is as light as a feather??? Eye & beak pics now

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NickyPick, Nov 7, 2011.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I picked up one of my two Brahma pullets yesterday (8 months old). I almost dropped her in shock - she had no weight at all! I'm talking like ounces, while even the little EE's have some heft to them. I know Galena has never laid an egg, but now I'm really starting to worry that she's not long for this world. Her crop was full at that time, so she does seem to be eating. Any ideas as to what's going on with her? What should I do?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you feel her breast bone? Maybe she's at the bottom of the pecking order, and so she's not getting enough to eat. Can you put an other feeder in your coop? Maybe that will help.

3. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    She's pretty high on the pecking order, or at least I've never seen anyone try to bully her. I've seen her at the feeder many times, so she seems to be getting food if she wants.

4. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I would isolate her and put her under a heat lamp for a few days to monitor her. I would also order some "Lafeber's Crital Care Nutrition" to feed her. You syringe feed for 7 days. Get some antbiotic in her water too

5. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Where can I get the antibiotic and feed?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Okay, full crop. Check it in the morning before she eats. If it's still full, she has a blockage.
    Is her stool bright green yet?
    Have any of your chicken had any contact at any time with other chickens outside yours?
    Have you wormed her with anything but Wazine, hopefully?
    Does she have bugs? (I don't think this is it,)

7. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I'll have to get my Dad to check her - I leave for work at 5:30 and we don't wake them up to go out until 8 or so. He takes care of the morning stuff. She's never been wormed, but I'll bring her in this afternoon and see what she poops for me.
    No strange chickens have been near my place at all. They've all lived with me since they were a day old. I had ordered 3 brahma's in this group and one died on day 2. Galena grew up, but she's never laid an egg and I only just now noticed how light she is. Garnet, the other brahma, is about 6 lbs, fat, sassy and lays 4 eggs a week.

8. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    The antibiotic, you can get from your feed store. The Lafeber's critical care food, you need to order via a vet

9. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds more like a tapeworm to me if she is eating fine and just failing to thrive. An impacted crop wouldn't cause dramatic muscle/ weight loss, and would kill her in a few days. If she doesn't appear to have any rattling breathing sounds, runny eyes or nose, I would avoid the antiboitic.

10. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Ok, I brought her in and had 2 eggs scrambled for her. She ate about half - kept dropping the pieces, but would eat. She's not a food hog. After a couple of bites, she would settle down for a nap, then eat a few bites, sleep a bit. I'm sure the warmth of the house and the petting attributed to the sleepiness. Her left eyelid and surrounding area looks a bit puffy, but I didn't notice any discharge. I gave her an hour to eat, then took her back out (she had a full crop). She went to the feeder, ate some pellets, then went out to the horse trough and jumped up and got some water. She's just acting normal, for her. She's always been more calm/laid back than the rest.

I don't know how long she's been super skinny, so I can't say it's been a sudden thing. Do chickens get eating disorders? How do I check for worms? I got the name of a vet that will work with poultry, so I'm thinking of taking her in and seeing what he says.

This picture is from back in August. I'm going to get my sister to take some new shots tomorrow so I can show you her eye.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by