Pullet is coughing/honking, wheezing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jentralala, Aug 19, 2014.

1. jentralala

jentralala Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Babycakes is a 17 week old EE. This afternoon I noticed that she was 'honking', and she was doing it every few minutes. It seems like it happens right after she ducks her head down to pick at the ground. After about an hour of this I noticed she was also wheezing, it sounded like a creaking door almost. She stopped doing it for a bit when I had her sitting calmly on my lap, but once I put her back down she started it up again.

The other five all look fine. I don't know if this is a respiratory illness (the 6 of them are in an 8x8 coop where the front half is made purely out of hardwire mesh, so there is a lot of ventilation. They are let out every day in the morning into either their large still grassy run, or into the yard) or if it's possible, from dust/debris? We knocked down an old shed yesterday, and there's a lot of dust and debris, and the chickies have been poking around in there (the frame/floor are still standing, and a few panels of wood). The honking started after she had spent about an hour hanging around the building, but idk if it's coincidence or not, because no one else seems affected.

I freaked out a bit and ran to town and bought Oxytetracycline and VetRx. I haven't administered the Oxytetracycline just in case it isn't illness, but I did dab the VetRx around her nostrils. I also gave them some crushed garlic and a double dose of ACV in their water.

I also gave them a big bowl of oatmeal mixed with some supposedly helpful herbs (fresh basil, dried tyme, dill, ground cinnamon) to try and help boost their immune system.

I also sat down and massaged her crop and throat for a bit, in case it's maybe an obstruction?

Any advice would be lovely!

2. jentralala

jentralala Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    UPDATE:

Soon after the VetRx was applied, she stopped honking and had a quiet wheeze. After a little while (an hour?) she stopped wheezing altogether, unless she runs or gets excited, and then she'll softly wheeze a few times (it sounds like a creaking swingset...). Still perky, eyes are clear.

I also realized that there was an old rats nest they had gotten into in the torn down shed, before I had a chance to clean it. Is it possible she just got dust up her nose? Or should I definitely treat this as respiratory infection?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could have been the dust or possibly something in her airway stuck. Mold can really be a problem in older barns, and can cause aspergillosis which may cause gasping. Wheezing is usually when the air is let out of the lungs, and more common in diseases like coryza. Stridor, on the other hand is the same noise, but happens when the breath is taken in, and this is due to an obstruction which can be an object or a plug of mucus in the airway. Here is a good link on the different respiratory disease to look at symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by