pullet is plucking feathers off of others

rhoda_bruce

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Cut Off, LA
I have 4 breeds of chickens brooding together. Cockoo Marans, BR, White Rocks and Light Bramahas. One of the White Rocks are wandering about stall, plucking feathers off of the other chickens. I keep waiting for one of them to peck back. Several times I have taken her away. What to do? I am afraid she draws blood and then I'll have a canabolism problem.

The same thing is happening with my Leghorns. They're pecking and plucking tailfeathers and drawing blood. I've got the two of them separated from the others. I'm hoping that putting them outside (as long as the weather cooperates!) will take care of their boredom and they'll all go back to getting along fine. Hope yours don't get too bad.

I can try the protein, but they just got put in the stall from the brooder and has about 7 times more room than they had just 3 days ago. Also, they hatched out on March 28th and I live in the very deep south, so if I give them heat, I think they will run away from it, but I can see that it would ordinarily work....I've read that before. Maybe I can thaw an uncooked hamburger and see what they make of it. My mom used to swear by raw meat.

Quote:
Hi Rhoda, been awhile, hope you're doing well. Try putting Vick's Vapor Rub on where you see they are getting pecked on by the offender. It wont hurt the offending chick when she gets a taste of that.

Back
Top Bottom