Pullet is the spawn of Satan!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poulets De Cajun, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

So I got my new trio of Cochins, as you all have seen in the other thread, but now I am having problems.

I know that there is a pecking order, and that new birds in a new environment will have to restablish the order, but one pullet seems to be the spawn of satan. She is TOTALLY aggressive towards the other pullet, so much so that the lower pullet has remained perched on top of the waterer for two days now. She refuses to get down on the floor level with the other pullet because if she's down there for even a second the other starts pecking her on the head and dragging her around. The aggressive pullet is completely relentless in her quest to beat up the other one.

I've seen this before with my Silkies, but usually after a day or so it quits and everyone gets along within the established pecking order. But this doesn't seem to be stopping.

Any ideas, other than complete seperation? I really dont want to get rid of the lesser pullet because she'll make a nice breeding bird, and I really need the trio.

I usually dont say this, but HELP!!! Any recommendations?

2. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    I had a game hen that was evil [​IMG] I counldnt stand her ! I ended up trading her with some friends for buff orp and I couldnt be any happier ! I dont permit grumpy hens in my coop ! I would have had her for dinner but she was an amazing layer and how much meat could I have really had off a OEG, but good luck ![​IMG]

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Pull the offender for a couple of days and leave her in a pet carrier. Then reintroduce and see if she behaves better.

4. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

True Story

I have a buff orpington that was that way. I tried everything. Then one day, after being sick and tired of it...I went upstairs and grabbed a frying pan. I went back downstairs showed Miss Dotty the frying pan, and said..."See this?! It's where you'll end up if you dont fly straight!" She kind of just tilted her head and looked at me all cockeyed.

I swear, after that day she hasn't done it again. I don't know if that will even help your situation ( at the very least you may get a laugh out of it), but for whatever crazy reason...It helped mine.

Bluemoon

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I'm setting up a solitary pen for her now. Its my last effort, and if she has to live as a single bird, then so be it.

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    If you end up keeping them seperate due to the mean hen, maybe let your roo "visit" each hen's pen here & there to get fertile eggs from each hen. [​IMG] Hopefully the seperation will help though. I'm sure you already know this, but when you reintroduce her, do it at night time if you decide to put all 3 back together again. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:LOL - that was funny

8. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Quote:LOL - that was funny

I agree - I laughed out loud!

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:That's sortof like the feral cat we couldn't tame so we took it to the humane society - and it suddenly got all friendly when we were halfway there!

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I'm setting up a solitary pen for her now. Its my last effort, and if she has to live as a single bird, then so be it.

I think if she's kept alone for 3-4 days she will be so grateful to have company that she will be nicer.
    Plus, the abused hen will have time to heal and learn some confidence!

Good luck!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by