Pullet is unwell, seems very tired but no other symptoms

Relleoms

Songster
6 Years
Jan 22, 2018
Iowa
I’m not sure what to do other than observe. Please see below, and thank you in advance!

1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
10 month old Olive Egger
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She did not come off the roosting bar this morning (normally she’s trying to get the food out of my hand) and she seems very sleepy. I was able to touch her, which is very unusual. She laid an egg yesterday, doesn’t seem to be egg bound or straining, posture & color look good, no sign of parasites. She also groomed very briefly. She’s currently in the nesting box of a dog crate in the house.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I noticed this morning, about 3 hours ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea, she was fine when she went to bed last night.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She ate a scrambled egg, very wet feed with poultry cell added, as well as a few drops poultry nutridrench directly dosed to her beak. She also has fresh, plain water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
She has only pooped once, and it was pretty runny & white, however, I don’t think she had eaten since last night. She has not pooped since she’s eaten this morning.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Separated her from the flock, gave nutridrench & poultry cell. She is currently resting in a nesting box.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Would prefer to treat myself, but will take to the vet if necessary.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See attached.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
12 chickens in a 6x8 coop, chopped straw bedding. 20x10 attached run. It’s been very windy the last few days, so they’ve been inside mostly, except to eat.
DF1DF5E6-B9D5-485F-A699-749CE7ED9048.jpeg
53CA967C-138D-4419-95DA-EB5A23300AB3.jpeg

D27CE172-5509-4F00-9F44-CC1440BCEC28.jpeg

Thank you for your kind words, @Clubber1234 & @MissNiss. I think she’s trying to lay an egg now. Logically she seems fine as I go through “the checklist”. But my gut tells me something is wrong, she’s never so sleepy. I’ll watch her, and hopefully she’ll poop so I can check for worms. I got a microscope for Christmas ;)

Well, be careful what you wish for. After she passed this monster (all over my rug :( )she had the smelliest cecal poo and demanded her release! I took her back to the coop & she laid an egg within 5 minutes and is now back to her role as miss social. Go figure. Maybe she was just constipated?!? Regardless, I’ll continue to monitor her, but fingers crossed she’s feeling better!
2A407721-119F-405D-A5B3-BAAC488938E7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom